Sun Storm

ISBN: 038533981x Global Overview for this book
Registered by noumena12 of Dayton, Ohio USA on 7/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, July 22, 2006
FROM THE PUBLISHER
On the floor of a church in northern Sweden, the body of a man lies mutilated and defiled- and in the night sky, the aurora borealis dances as the snow begins to fall....So begins Åsa Larsson's spellbinding thriller, winner of Sweden's Best First Crime Novel Award and an international literary sensation.Rebecka Martinsson is heading home to Kiruna, the town she'd left in disgrace years before. A Stockholm attorney, Rebecka has a good reason to return: her friend Sanna, whose brother has been horrifically murdered in the revivalist church his charisma helped create. Beautiful and fragile, Sanna needs someone like Rebecka to remove the shadow of guilt that is engulfing her, to forestall an ambitious prosecutor and a dogged policewoman. But to help her friend, and to find the real killer of a man she once adored and is now not sure she ever knew, Rebecka must relive the darkness she left behind in Kiruna, delve into a sordid conspiracy of deceit, and confront a killer whose motives are dark, wrenching, and impossible to guess...

Journal Entry 2 by noumena12 from Dayton, Ohio USA on Friday, February 01, 2008
RABCK to noumena11

Journal Entry 3 by noumena12 at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 09, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (6/7/2008 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Surprise wishlist RABCK on the way to Geishabird
Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 26, 2008
Thank you! What a nice surprise. I read an excerpt from this book a while ago and thought it sounded interesting enough to read the rest...how nice of you to send it to me. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 5 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 12, 2008
I can't help but wonder how many of the problems I encountered in this book are due to: 1)translation issues, and 2)cultural clashes. I've read a lot of mysteries, usually British, and I think I've come to expect that those are what mysteries are "supposed" to be like. That may be ungenerous of me. I've read a few Scandanavian books in translation and they all seem to have this hazy, ambiguous quality to them. I hesitate to say that this is a flaw - perhaps Scandanavians see this as normal. I also must cure myself of thinking that whenever someone in a novel doesn't act like their British or North American counterpart would, that this is bad writing. :)

However, I do think that there are also problems with this translation. There are some very weird colloquialisms employed in this book by the translator, which seem glaringly out of place, and there's a thread of awkwardness that winds through the narrative. Translating a work of fiction must be terribly difficult; I question whether this is a successful job.

The story itself is not bad, and there are some quite good passages that show that Larsson has some considerable talent - but not enough to make this a *really* good read. Although I have no knowledge of Swedish, I can't help but think that this book is probably a lot better in the original; I have a feeling that it probably had more style, more finesse. The English version is not unreadable, but it does have shortcomings.

Thanks for sharing this!

Journal Entry 6 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 12, 2009
Mailed this off last week to VeganMedusa via the Literature in Translation swap at BookObsessed.com.

Journal Entry 7 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Sunday, March 22, 2009
Thanks geishabird. :)

Journal Entry 8 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Thursday, June 25, 2009
Quite an interesting read. I loved the characters and the setting. I'm going to hunt out other books by this author.
Going soon to another bookobsessor.

Journal Entry 9 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Sunday, July 05, 2009
Posted today for the birthday exchange.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 16, 2009
received from my birthday partner. Thanks!!

Journal Entry 11 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 30, 2014
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. Unfortunately she didn't get around to reading this book.

We had similar tastes in books and would share them whenever we read something we enjoyed. This book sounds interesting so I'm going to keep it to read.