Don't Wake Me at Doyles

by Maura Murphy | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Cateringa of Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on 7/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Cateringa from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 22, 2006
Synopsis
The extraordinary memoir of an Irish matriarch - the Angela of ANGELA'S ASHES In a fearless and honest memoir, an ordinary Irish woman recounts an extraordinary life. Born 'chronically ugly and cross as a briar' into a poor rural homestead in 1920s Ireland, Maura Murphy left school and 14 and arrived in Dublin where she worked in service until she married. Later, poverty-stricken and with five young children, the family left Ireland for Birmingham of the 1950s, where they hoped to find a better life. At 75 years old, recovering from cancer and having left her marriage of 50 years, Maura Murphy told her story, from her early days running wild in the Irish countryside, to her destructive marriage to a hard-working, hard-drinking womaniser, the birth of her nine children, and a life-or-death choice what would change her forever. Hers is a story that will resonate with Irish and English alike, her voice the voice of a forgotten generation. Told with biting wit, DON'T WAKE ME AT DOYLES contains all the explosive power of ANGELA'S ASHES - told by Angela.

Journal Entry 2 by Cateringa from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 22, 2006
A true story remembered with such feeling of trying to make the best of bringing up a large family in Ireland with a non-cooperative, drunken husband. You just have to wait for the "happy ever after" end - but does it eventually arrive? Well worth waiting to see.

Journal Entry 3 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 22, 2006
This book has been passed on to me by a bookcrossing friend. As my TBR pile is very high, I am going to offer it as a ring and see if anyone would like to read it first.

Journal Entry 4 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 23, 2006
The participants so far are:

wyjane
wyjane's mum
Annodyne

This is how it works:
You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address.
It's not a race, so just read it in your own time but remember that other people are waiting to read it too.
Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
If you're the last person on the list the book comes back to me.

Journal Entry 5 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 29, 2006
Posted off to wyjane today so should in arrive in a few days.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wyjane from Radford Semele, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 16, 2006
received from purplerosebud, thanks. Passed it on to my mother has finished it already, but I don't think she found it to her liking. It's now got to the top of my TBR pile so I'll get on with it shortly.

Journal Entry 7 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 28, 2006

The book arrived today, and I'm going to make a space for it in my October reading.

Thank you to purplerosebud for making this available as a bookring, and to wyjane for passing it on with the delicious extra. Three of my favourite addictions - a book, chocolate and cappuccino coffee - all in one packet. What a treat!

Journal Entry 8 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 08, 2006
I got really quite absorbed in this book, and couldn't help thinking that Maura Murphy was just one of millions of women of her generation and earlier ones, whose lives were shaped entirely by their circumstances and lack of alternatives.

It is a sobering and thought-provoking read without being relentlessly harrowing, in the way that Angela's Ashes is, and in my opinion, is a far better book.

Journal Entry 9 by Annodyne from Sale, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Going home to purplerosebud - posted it today, with thanks for the read.

Journal Entry 10 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 28, 2006
Arrived safely home. Thanks Annodyne glad you enjoyed the book.

Journal Entry 11 by wingStGeorgeswing from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Taken along to the OBCZ now that it has been travelling and come home.