Marrying Mozart

by Stephanie Cowell | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 014303457x Global Overview for this book
Registered by xallroyx of Huntington Beach, California USA on 7/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Saturday, July 22, 2006
Former opera singer Cowell, whose previous novel (1997's The Players) explored the apprenticeship years of a callow Shakespeare, turns her eye to the women in the life of a young Mozart in her fourth graceful and entertaining historical. Music copyist Fridolin Weber and his socially ambitious wife, Marie Caecilia, have four daughters—bookish and devout Sophie; quiet Constanze; beautiful, silver-voiced Aloysia; and headstrong Josefa—whom they struggle to keep in hats and hose. Though the freethinking girls may wonder about the benefits of marrying well vs. marrying for love, Caecilia, whose family once had money, is terrified of growing old a pauper. Pinning her hopes on her prettiest daughter, 16-year-old Aloysia, Caecilia aims for a Swedish baron as suitor (though she keeps a list of backups in a notebook). Aloysia falls in love with the young Mozart, however, who happily returns her affections, though he, too, wonders about marrying better to support his father and beloved mother. But when the Webers move to Munich from Mannheim, Caecilia's hopes for good matches begin to dim, as Josefa takes a married lover and a pregnant Aloysia runs away with a painter who, along with Mozart, had been boarding with the family. As Mozart progresses in his career, he has relationships with the other Weber sisters, too, and falls alternately in and out of favor with their bitter old mother. Told through the recollections of an aging Sophie, the tale is as rich and unhurried as 18th-century court life.

Journal Entry 2 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Monday, November 13, 2006
mailed today to karendawn!

Journal Entry 3 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, November 18, 2006
Arrived today. Thank you! :)

Journal Entry 4 by karendawn at on Sunday, March 18, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (3/18/2007 UTC) at

on its way to AceofHearts

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 28, 2007
received in the mail today. I took this out of the Historicl Fiction VBB

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 29, 2011
There are four Weber sisters- Josefa, plain with a good voice; Aloysia, beautiful with a voice to match; Sophie, bookish and religious; and Constanze, quiet. Their father Fridolin is a music copyist and teacher and full of fun struggling to meet all his family's needs. Their mother Marie Caecilia is socially ambitious especially for her daughters even to the point of keeping a book with all marriage prospects in it.

Mozart enters into the Weber's life on one of their Thursday music nights. Caecilia who is aiming to marry Aloysia to a Swedish baron finds herself thwarted when Aloysia and Mozart fall in love. However first Mozart must earn some money not only to marry but also to support his parents and sister. Aloysia wearies of waiting for Mozart to carry her off to better things and becomes pregnant and elopes with a painter.

As Mozart continues to create beautiful music his broken heart heals and he finds himself again returning to the Webers.

This book really brought Mozart to life. It is interesting to me that in all books about this era the parents are trying to gain esteem through their children and not their own endeavors.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, February 10, 2011
Reading now!

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 16, 2011
The four Weber sisters were brought up with music. The eldest two, Josefa and Aloysia, are singers that sometimes compete for both singing roles and affection. The younger sisters Constanze and Sophie stick together and are less musical. In 1770 Austria, the family meets a young struggling musician named Mozart, whose eye is caught by Aloysia Weber. However Mrs. Weber has other plans for her children and carefully plots which fabulous men they should be betrothed to.

The novel plays out as the four girls mature in to women. We see how their mother tries to manipulate them to do what she wants and how they fight back. We also see how Mozart fits in to the family.

What I was most surprised at was how hard it was for Mozart to make a name for himself. I knew he was gifted and recognized for it as a child but I thought he was famous his entire life. Not so, he had to work very hard to become recognized.

I enjoyed the dynamics between the family members, the girls, and Mozart. This was a great historical fiction and I pictured the streets of Vienna in my mind as I read it, though I'm sure a lot has changed since then!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 07, 2011
mailed today from Virginia to Dancing-Dog who won this in a Historical Fiction Swap

Journal Entry 10 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, March 12, 2011
It's here - thanks so much!

Journal Entry 11 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Sunday, October 02, 2011
This was very enjoyable - it was an interesting period and fascinating to learn about the non-musical side of Mozart. I liked following the girls as they grew up and how their family situation changes when their father dies. The character of the mother was well-done - a person you really love to despise. From a sociological standpoint, there were some interesting customs and mores - the game where a woman's calf was measured was unusual - and often when I read historical fiction, I am struck by how much harder life was for those not rich or privileged (the majority). A good book!

Journal Entry 12 by dancing-dog at Bookbox - controlled release in Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/14/2012 UTC) at Bookbox - controlled release in Cordova, Tennessee USA

Putting in ladybug74's Historical Fiction bookbox - happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, May 04, 2012
Taken out of Ladybug's bookbox.

Journal Entry 14 by AlterEgoZoe at Chestnuthill Township Park in Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (4/26/2014 UTC) at Chestnuthill Township Park in Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania USA

Released during the Close the Loop's Give and Take day