The Lake of Dead Languages: A Novel

by Carol Goodman | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 034548715x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 7/18/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 18, 2006
From the Publisher
In the evocative tradition of Donna Tartt’s first novel, The Secret History, comes this accomplished debut of youthful innocence drowned by dark sins. Twenty years ago, Jane Hudson left the Heart Lake School for Girls in the Adirondacks after a terrible tragedy. Now she has returned to the placid, isolated shores of the lakeside school as a Latin teacher, recently separated and hoping to make a fresh start with her young daughter. But ominous messages from the past dredge up forgotten memories that will become a living nightmare.

Since freshmen year, Jane and her two roommates, Lucy Toller and Deirdre Hall, were inseparable–studying the classics, performing school girl rituals on the lake, and sneaking out after curfew to meet Lucy’s charismatic brother Matt. However, the last winter before graduation, everything changed. For in that sheltered, ice-encrusted wonderland, three lives were taken, all victims of senseless suicide. Only Jane was left to carry the burden of a mystery that has stayed hidden for more than two decades in the dark depths of Heart Lake.

Now pages from Jane’s missing journal, written during that tragic time, have reappeared, revealing shocking, long-buried secrets. And suddenly, young, troubled girls are beginning to die again . . . as piece by piece the shattering truth slowly floats to the surface

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 13, 2007
This mystery is extremely well written. The story is told in two times; the present and 20 years ago. I have never read a book that so seamlessly interweaves two time periods. When Jane attended Heart Lake School there were two tradegic deaths. Now she has returned to teach Latin and deaths are happening again. What really happened 20 years ago?

I very much enjoyed this mystery.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 30, 2007
Reading now...

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 02, 2007
Jane Hudson returns to teach Latin at her old high school, Heart Lake. Heart Lake is an all girls school set on a lake that has tales of drowning and suicide going back fifty years. When one of Jane's student tries to commit suicide, Jane starts seeing striking similarities between the students she is teaching and her own set of friends when she was in school. Twenty years ago, Jane's two roommates and one of her roommate's brother committed suicide. Jane starts to re-live this as the school tries to figure out why Jane's student tried to commit suicide.

The book reminds me of The Secret History by Donna Tartt. They both have school-based mysteries where not everything is as it seems. It is pretty easy to guess what is going on in this book, but it is quite a page turner as the reader tries to figure out why there were suicides 20 years ago, and why history is repeating itself.

I really hated two characters in this book: Domina Chambers, who I thought acted completely inappropriately as a teacher, and Dr. Lockheart who was a complete bitch. Even though it's hard to relate to the kids, and even to Jane, you can still keep enough of a connection with these characters to want to learn what happens to them.

The writing between the past and the present was pretty seamless and the descriptions used created quite a vivid picture. I'd be interested in reading more of Goodman's works.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 04, 2007
This book is back with me

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2007
mailed today to my birthday partner

Journal Entry 7 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Sunday, November 25, 2007
got this one from Ace in my birthday package. It's been on my wishlist for awhile and is moved to the top of the TBR. When I finish my current read, I'll start this one.

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't exactly what I had expected, but was an excellent book

Reserved for Mystery VBB chronicbooker

Journal Entry 8 by chronicbooker3 from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 13, 2008
This arrived today. Thanks Meshe