Japanese Cultural Encounters & How To Handle Them

Registered by wingBluemchenblattwing of Paris, Ile-de-France France on 2/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingBluemchenblattwing from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, February 22, 2007
Adopted through BookMooch.
Thanks, minivet!

Challenging as well as educational, JCE reveals the fascinating differences - from the significant to the subtle - between the Japanese culture and our own. this unique book highlights 56 situations, each characterized by a conflict or misunderstanding, which are frequently encountered by Westeners in their interactions with the Japanese. Through these cultural encounters, you will explore many aspects of everyday life: human relations at work and leisure; etiquette, formalities, and customs; commonly misused and misunderstood Japanese expressions; and helpful trivia.

Each cultural encounter is presented in a brief narrative, followed by a question about the source of the conflict or problem. You then choose one of the four answers and turn to the inidicated page at the back of the book. If your answer is correct, more information is provided there about the full cultural context of the dilemma. If you choose an incorrect answer, your misunderstanding is explained and you are sent back to the passage to try again.

Perfect for students, travelers, businesspeople, and trivia buffs, JCE will give you greater insight into Japanese customs, language, and day-to-day practices and will - as you resolve the problems yourself - help you do or say the right thing at the right time whenever or wherever you meet with the Japanese.

Entertaining book, interesting encounters.
It seems to me rather a part of a book than a round-up book itself, so don't expect to learn too much.

As for me, not many questions caused me real problems (leaving out the language-related ones, though even there I did farely well), maybe one or two where I had no clue and several where I didn't hit the right answer right away.

For the time being it will rest in my Permanent Collection. As soon as I will know what will be with my studies, I'll reconsider about letting it go right away or keeping it for another half year or so.

Journal Entry 2 by Oriana78 from Annecy, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, July 07, 2007
A loan from Martyna who is a sweetie and left it in my mailbox. This will cheer me up (I'm still a bit sick)! *big hugs*
I'll start reading it tonight.:)