Wide Sargasso Sea

by Jean Rhys | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Cinnamon-Girl of Newnan, Georgia USA on 7/13/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Thursday, July 13, 2006
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels, but no one could read that book and not wonder about the woman in the attic. Jean Rhys's portrayal of the original Mrs. Rochester and her life before and during her marriage to the enigmatic Mr. Rochester is vivid, brutal and mesmerizing.

I've decided to make this copy into a bookring to see what my fellow BCers think of it. Mine is an older copy and has different cover art than what is shown on Amazon.

Journal Entry 2 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Mailing off to sarradee tomorrow - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by sarradee from Arlington, Texas USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Arrived safely today, I'll get it read and moved along ASAP!

Journal Entry 4 by sarradee from Arlington, Texas USA on Sunday, September 24, 2006
This is the story of Bertha (Antoinette Cosway) the mad wife of Mr. Rochester from the novel Jane Eyre. The author was so taken by the character when she read Jane Eyre, that she felt she had to write her story. Antoinette grows up in the West Indies under dubious circumstances, her mother is a little touched, her father is dead and her step father marries her off to an Englishman who brings her home to England. Her husband then proceeds to punish her for all the things he perceives her family has done particularly slave-holding and excessive drinking. Finally she succumbs to the pressure, and is locked away from view.

I'll be mailing onto Cocobarks as soon as I have an address.

Update 9/25/06 - Got Cocobarks address today, will put in the mail in the morning. USPS Delivery Confirmation # 9102010521297171097855

Journal Entry 5 by Cocobarks on Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Received in yesterday's mail. I hope to finish my current book this week and tackle this one next week.

Journal Entry 6 by Cocobarks on Wednesday, December 13, 2006
On its way. Sorry I had it so long.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, December 31, 2006
I received it just before Xmas. Looking forward to reading it! Thanks,Cocobarks! And Happy New Year 2007!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, April 23, 2007
A very, very interesting twist to the "Madwoman in the Attic" concept...
When I first knew about this book, I thought it might be a pastiche such as the ones attempted with "Rebecca" or "Gone with the Wind".
Great mistake, this novel stands on its own, even if you have never heard about "Jane Eyre"... though it is much better if you have read it.
Soon to be sent to CanberraPenny.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, May 04, 2007
Sent yesterday to CanberraPenny.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by CanberraPenny from not specified, not specified not specified on Monday, May 07, 2007
Received the book today. Have one book to finish before I get to this one but should have it on the move again within a month.

Journal Entry 11 by CanberraPenny from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, May 12, 2007
Well, this book wasn't really what I expected. I had known about it for so long and had just never gotten around to reading it. I loved Jane Eyre and of course I always wondered about the woman in the attic. I guess this story does offer a reasonable possibility to the background of the mad wife but I found I wasn't completely convinced. It's a good book in it's own right but something was missing - can't quite put my finger on what that might be! Will be posting this to purpleskybaby on Tuesday 15th May.

Journal Entry 12 by purpleskybaby from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, August 04, 2007
won't take me long to read this, will get it straight to DianeO after

Journal Entry 13 by purpleskybaby from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, February 08, 2008
Not what I expected although easy to read. Now on its way to PurpleElephant. Apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 14 by PurpleElephant from Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2008
Book arrived yesterday, thank you everyone looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 15 by PurpleElephant from Glastonbury, Somerset United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 14, 2009
I'm so sorry for holding on to this for so long. I actually read it straight away but somehow it ended up on my TBR box. I was just having a clear out and I found it. I have PMed Cross-Patch and am waiting for an address.
Apologies once again.

Released 11 yrs ago (1/28/2009 UTC) at — Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted today. Sorry for delay.

Journal Entry 17 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 30, 2009
Well thank you,Cinnamon-Girl and PurpleElephant, I've always wanted to read this book and now I shall!

Journal Entry 18 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
This was such a sad tale and I truly felt Antoinette's frustrations. It must have been maddening for many women living through those selfish times. I never quite remember the course of Jane Eyre and feel I need re-reminding once again.

Going in the post today.

Journal Entry 19 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 28, 2009
Picked up from the post office this morning, I'm nearly finished my read so I'll start when I'm done.

Journal Entry 20 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 03, 2009
I loved Jane Eyre, it's one of my favourites, so this book came as somewhat of a disappointment. The writing is disjointed and doesn't flow. I really don't see how or why Antoinette became mad, so many missing details and things washed over. As a stand alone book fine, but don't connect it to Jane Eyre.

14.4.09 - I've finally got Saram23's address so I'll send it on!

Journal Entry 21 by chas04 at Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/17/2009 UTC) at Fitchburg, Massachusetts USA

Sending off to the last person on the list for this ray!

Journal Entry 22 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, May 03, 2009
got here last week!

Journal Entry 23 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, August 01, 2009
Finished and I enjoyed it, but it seemed like something was missing.

Preparing to send it back to Cinnamon-Girl.

Journal Entry 24 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009
This book has arrived home from its travels. Thanks to all who joined the ring, left your comments and kept the book moving. I'll wild release this book so some lucky finder can see all the traveling this book has done and hopefully its journey will continue!