My Name Is Bosnia (ARC)

Registered by morsecode of Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on 7/13/2006
Journal Entry 1 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Thursday, July 13, 2006
Advanced Reader Copy

"Leaving is dying a little, dying to oneself. And it is living fully as that other person one has so often dreamed of becoming. While one has to leave for elsewhere in order to achieve this, it is at home that the dream is first imagined" (19).

My Name is Bosnia is the story of one girl's experience of war and exile told with a poet's gift for language and observation.

When war breaks out in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sabaheta, a non-practicing Muslim who renames herself "Bosnia" when she first begins to imagine the possibility of leaving her homeland, is a university student. Unlike many of her loved ones, Bosnia survives the conflict, first in the forest with her father and the Bosnian guerrillas and then in Sarajevo where she and her friends are forced to burn their books for fuel.

My Name is Bosnia is written with an understanding unimaginable in a person who has not lived through war. Clearly informed by Gagnon's work on Women in a World at War (Talonbooks, 2003), the novel is beautifully-wrought treatise on war, suffering, recovery, and the world today.

Author Nancy Huston has described Madeleine Gagnon as "someone in whom the boundary between inner and outer life is porous, her words are poetry and her ear for the words of others is poetry too. Everything she takes in from the world is filtered, processed, transformed by the insistent rhythms of the songs within her" (publisher's website).

Journal Entry 2 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
I offered this in our first Non-Genre Fiction Swap (the swap was a smashing success!).
I'll be passing it along to HoserLauren on Saturday.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 20, 2006
I received this yesterday from Morsie because I got it in the recent non-genre swap!
This one sounds so interesting, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2008
When war breaks out in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sabaheta is just a regular university student. But war changes everything. Her brother is taken away and her mom goes crazy, which sends her to an asylum. Sabaheta cuts her hair and takes to the forest with her father to fight. When her father is killed, she renames herself Bosnia, acknowledging that she may someday have to leave her country, and heads into the city.

The city, though, is no safer than the forest. There's constant shooting and shelling, killing citizens. Bosnia finds some friends and shacks up with them for the duration of the war. The situation turns from bad to worse when food and firewood runs out and the group resorts of tearing up books and using them for kindle. Bosnia also befriends a soldier, Adem, and eventually falls in love with him. With the latest round of killing, Bosnia and Adem decide they can no longer live in their beloved city, but must move away from the war. They move to France and, eventually, to Quebec.

The book is separated into three parts representing where the couple is: Bosnia, France, and Quebec. The first part is about the war and Bosnia finding Adem. This was by far the most interesting part of the book. I wish I had more of a background on the history to better understand what the characters were going through.

Sometime between Bosnia and France, Bosnia's mom got better and was no longer crazy. How does someone go from being crazy and not being able to talk to being sane and making sense? I didn't understand that one. This is where the book went downhill a bit. Things just seemed to drag on and there wasn't much point to it. When the characters then traveled to Quebec, the book wrapped up nicely.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I mailed this off to zzz today as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 18, 2008
This book was returned back to me because the address was incorrect. Since it was a RABCK and is too expensive to re-send, I'm going to put it back as AVL.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 31, 2009
Mailed this off to supertalya earlier this week as she took it out of the VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by Supertalya on Monday, February 02, 2009
Thanks so much. It looks good.

Journal Entry 9 by Supertalya at Bookobsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 18, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/19/2009 UTC) at Bookobsessed.com, A book trading site -- Controlled Releases

I just couldn't get over the big book format. I am sending this on to Kiri who picked it out of a VBB.

Journal Entry 10 by Kiri from Santa Rosa, California USA on Monday, January 18, 2010
TBR