corner corner The Dice Man

The Dice Man
by Luke Rhinehart | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bigcurlyloz of Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on 7/13/2006

status (set by msjoanna): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 13, 2006

Recommended by a friend.

"The cult classic that can still change your life...Let the dice decide! This is the philosophy that changes the life of bored psychiatrist Luke Rhinehart -- and in some ways changes the world as well. Because once you hand over your life to the dice, anything can happen. Entertaining, humorous, scary, shocking, subversive, The Dice Man is one of the cult bestsellers of our time." - amazon.co.uk synopsis

Journal Entry 2 by bigcurlyloz from Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Certainly interesting and kept my attention but a bit fantastic at times. Still I''m glad I read it - it''ll probably take a bit of time for me to digest some of the psychologically thought-provoking ideas - what if the idea of one "self" really wasn''t the best way for people to be happy? I really didn''t like the ending though.

My boyfriend will be reading this, and then it is reserved for msjoanna who selected it from the "Roots of Mt TBR" relay on bookobsessed.

Journal Entry 3 by lwpallett on Saturday, September 01, 2007

I generally enjoyed it, and it was a good one to read in short bursts as I had time, but some things did annoy me a bit. I know it was written 'in character', but some episodes could have done with fleshing out and others could have been trimmed down a bit so as to put more focus on the dice, but fair enough. The usual post-Freud psychological obsession with sex was present, but did not detract as much from the story as some others I have read. I knew a couple people at uni who tried being dice-people for some time, and it was interesting to know the background to it--not so much a manual as they put forward but a suggestion and a story.

to be passed to msjoanna by bigcurlyloz

Journal Entry 4 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Monday, November 05, 2007

I practically forgot this book was coming! What a nice surprise to find waiting for me when I returned to town last night. Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Sunday, December 15, 2013

An interesting premise, but a surprisingly boring read. Short summary: options will be assigned to a roll of dice, then carried out as determined by chance. (Starting with, if it's a 1, I'll go rape my best friend's wife/neighbor. Which it is, but she wanted it after all, so isn't that convenient. How divinely free. Or just boringly pointless.) For all the supposedly exciting and wild and free sex that was supposed to be happening by dice-driven randomness, I found myself trudging through. The satire of psychotherapy is amusing, but the narrator was so painfully annoying that I just couldn't bring myself to care. Oh, I'll do such-and-such because the dice told me to. Except that they only tell you to do the things that you've created as options.

Read on the level of reminding us that much of life is unplannable and uncontrollable and we might be happier if we accepted chaos as natural rather than something to be struggled against, the book is an interesting philosophical commentary. Read for plot or as an instruction manual, it's just irksome.

I'm not old enough to know whether I'd have liked it better in 1971. Maybe it was really revolutionary at the time.