Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players

by Stefan Fatsis | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 7/12/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 12, 2006
I read this several years ago, and enjoyed it very much, so when I found another copy at The Book Thing, decided to pick it up for my "Books about Things" bookbox.

From the cover -
Stefan Fatsis, a Wall Street Journal reporter and National Public Radio regular recounts his remarkable rise through the ranks of elite Scrabble players while exploring the game's strange, potent hold on them - and him.

Scrabble might thruly be called America's gme. More than two million sets are solf every year and at least thirty million American homes have one. But the game's most talented competitors inhabit a sphere far removed from the masses of "living room players." Theirs is a surprisingly diverse subculture whose stars include a vitamin-poppling standup comic; a former bank teller whose intestinal troubles earn him the nickname "G.I. Joel"; a burly, unemployed African American from Baltimore's inner city; the three-time national champion who plays according to Zen principles; and Fatsis himself, whom we see transformed froma curious reporter to a confirmed Scrabble nut.
He begins by haunting the gritty corner of a Greenwich Village park where pickup Scrabble games can be found whenever weather permits. His curiousity soon morphs into compulsion, as he sets about memorizing thousands of obscure words and fills his evening with solo Scrabble played on his living room floor. Before long he finds himself at tournaments socializing - and competing - with Scrabble's elite.
But this book is about more than hardcore Scrabblers, for the game yields insights into realms as disparate as linguistics, psychology, and mathematics. Word Freak extends its reach even further, pondering the light Scrabble throws on such notions as brilliance, memory, competition, failure, and hope. It is a geography of obsession that celebrates the uncanny powers locked in all of us.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Books about Things bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (9/6/2006 UTC) at Books about Things bookbox in Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into my "Books about Things" bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Thursday, September 28, 2006
As a fourth generation Scrabble lover, I thought I'd better hold on to this one. My mom may want to read after me!

Journal Entry 4 by elizardbreath from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
I have had this on MT. TBR for so long and today I pulled it down to start it. While I am very interested in the story, the amount of crude profanity has turned me off to it and I have decided not to finish it.

I am going to reserve this for release in my Wrap It Up bookbox.

Releasing into the Offspring of the Wrap it Up bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by -AuntieM- from Camas Valley, Oregon USA on Saturday, April 12, 2008
Caught in elizardbreath's offspring of the wrap-it-up bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by OregonMeadow at Camas Valley Post Office in Camas Valley, Oregon USA on Saturday, October 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/3/2009 UTC) at Camas Valley Post Office in Camas Valley, Oregon USA

left on corner shelf