The English Patient (Vintage International)

by Michael Ondaatje | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MyaStone of Stamford, Connecticut USA on 7/11/2006
Journal Entry 1 by MyaStone from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
another booker prize winner, excellent author, great story.

Journal Entry 2 by MyaStone from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Friday, July 14, 2006
mailed to lonerunner today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
I just received this today from Myastone--thank you!! I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 4 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, August 21, 2007
My husband just read this, and loved it. Alas, I've had it a year, and haven't gotten to it! But I WILL. soon.

Journal Entry 5 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 17, 2008
It's been a week since I've finished this novel, but I still haven't figured out what I want to say about it. It's certainly a story that stays in one's mind a long time.

Four different people of different ages and nationalities converge under one roof somewhere in Italy as World War II is ending. Hana the exhausted nurse, Caravaggio the thief, Kip the Indian sapper, and the burn victim everyone refers to as "the English patient" become a part of each other's everyday lives and form an unusual but close social set for a precious sliver of time. During these months, the reader is led through a series of flashbacks that illuminate each of their intriguing pasts.

There are so many good and interesting stories created with this time period as the backdrop, but I feel that this one is unique in its ending, specifically the end of the four-way friendship.

The English Patient is written beautifully and sparingly; Michael Ondaatje tells us just enough facts. Nothing is overwritten or revisited, and I found myself hanging on every word.

Actually, I'd like to see the movie again!

Thank you, MyaStone! My husband and I both enjoyed this tremendously:)