A Clockwork Orange (Essential.penguin S.)

by Anthony Burgess | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 014027409x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Tregossip of St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on 7/11/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Tregossip from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Daily Telegraph " is not only about man's violent nature and his capacity to choose between good and evil. It is about the excitements and intoxicating effects of language"
Kubricks controversial film version sealed it's reputation as one of the most daring works of fiction of the 20th centuary
Going on Int'l Ray

Gone AWOL
purplemoonmyst - USA - ship Inl'l
emlar - Shropshire - UK - ship UK if possible
Hawkette - London - UK - ship Int'l

I am so sorry folks but after many PM's and ISO of the forum for cobalt tree and purplemoonmyst this brilliant book has gone AWOL.
I wish I knew why, but remain clueless

Released 13 yrs ago (7/25/2006 UTC) at Grahamstown in A bookcrosser , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

To fairy-dust

Journal Entry 3 by fairy-dust from Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Recieved today from Tregossip. Thank you! It came just in time - I finished a book last night so I'm all set to start this straight away!

Journal Entry 4 by fairy-dust from Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 30, 2006
I don't really know what to say about this book...it's like a nightmare vision of youth! Reading through all the violent acts I can see why the film version was initially banned. I don't know whether others will have found this (or will do when they read it) but I found some of the violence hard to read, although I can recognise its importance for the book.

The most obvious thing to talk about with this book is the language - "nadsat". At first I found it very distracting. I was constantly tellimg myself what each word meant, but as I got more in to the book it just became part of it. It no longer distracted me and I actually found it easy to understand.

This isn't a book I would probably have picked up in a bookshop, and would probably not have read it if Tregossip hadn't offered it up as a ray (so thank you Tregossip!) but I'm glad I've read it now. I think it's a good book covering a wide range of issues...violence, freedom of choice, forceful Governments...and I think the blurb on the back has it right when it calls it "one of the most daring works of fiction".

Journal Entry 5 by fairy-dust from Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
Posted out to IzzyLizzy

Journal Entry 6 by IzzyLizzy on Thursday, August 03, 2006
Received this today, thanks fairy-dust and Tregossip! I'll start reading it in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 7 by IzzyLizzy on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Well I've finished reading this now, and found it quite a strange read, not exactly what I was expecting.

I knew near enough nothing about this book before I picked it up to start reading. I was expecting it to be violent and unpleasant from reading the back of the book and knowing that the film was banned. As someone very interested in languages, I was also intrigued to find out more about the supposed future youth language 'nadsat'.

My expectations were met on the first point - the violence described is not pleasant to read about and the young characters' attitudes to it are even more disturbing. But I did find it an interesting read and particularly liked the way that we gradually find out more about the main character, Alex, firstly during the first part, right up to the last sentence. Then of course in the final part as Alex grows up.

The language aspect of the book completely took me by surprise though. I was really disappointed that I didn't get to experience nadsat in the same way as most readers. I can't have been even half way through the first page when I realised that a lot of this 'nadsat' seemed basically just to be Russian. Okay so the words are anglicised and have English verb endings for example, but mostly it's just Russian. Maybe this is a well-known fact that I'd missed out on so far! I suppose the name should have been a give away, nadsat sounding very much like the Russian equivalent to '-teen'.

Having said that, I did still enjoy the whole book, including the nadsat. If nadsat had been some completely unknown language to me I think I would have really struggled with it to be honest. I would have liked to have the chance to find out, but enjoyed the book anyway and will definitely have to see the film at some point to see how that compares.

So thanks for organising the bookray, Tregossip, and this will be on its way to butterfly-noir asap.

Journal Entry 8 by IzzyLizzy on Thursday, August 17, 2006
Posted to butterfly-noir today.

Journal Entry 9 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, August 28, 2006
the book arrived a couple of days ago, but I couldn't make the je sooner. I'm already reading it, so I hope to make a new je whit my review very soon.

Journal Entry 10 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, September 02, 2006
I didn't found the violence described in this book as shocking as others, I think whats more shocking isn't the vioence itself but alex reactions to it. The diference between the way how the violence he and his droogs inflict to others is described ina very differnt way that the violence that later one is inflicted upon alex. I also think he's a very interesting and rich caracther, although the love for ultra-violence is at the core of is personalaty. the paralel between classic musica and violence, alex's two main paxions, Its very well achived. I thougth that inspite of all is evilness, alex was at the same time a very naive person.

what is the book moral? I belive that diferent people can take diferent lessons from it, the book raises many questions. tow I wont get into them because it would take me a lot of writing to get to my point and my je is already becaming to big.

about the nadsat and the writing style itself, gives the book a really pleasent and unique rythm and answering to IzzyLizzy comment on it, it says somewhere on the book that the nadsat language was mostly slav.

thank u tregossip for organizing this ray. I'll send it to the next person as soon as I have the adress

Journal Entry 11 by wingMary-Twing from Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, September 15, 2006
Thanks to butterfly-noir, the book arrived yesterday. :)
I'm looking forward to read this - but I have more rings to read... anyway I'll try to get this finished soon. Later more...

1.11.
Well - I tried to read this again and again - but it seems this is not my kind of reading...
Nevertheless - thanks to tregossip to let me make my own experiences with this book - I will see if I can find the movie to see what this is like...

As soon as I get an address I will send it off again.

Journal Entry 12 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 11, 2006
Arrived here today!

Journal Entry 13 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Okay I totally couldn't follow this book. Maybe I'm not in the right mood with the holidays coming up and all but it was just to hard to get into....

Sent along to cobalt-tree today! Hope others enjoy it more than I did!

Journal Entry 14 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 08, 2007
picked it up from the university mail room today. i've been wanting to read this book for quite a while- i'm excited!

Journal Entry 15 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 25, 2007
I enjoyed this book geratly, once I got into it. The language seemed to be quite a barrier to me in the beginning, but it grew on me. This could easily be a book worth a second read.
Thanks for sharing!

posted to purplemoonmyst.

update: i sent the book quite a while ago now... and i put my return address on everything, so maybe it'll bounce back to me eventually?

Journal Entry 16 by purplemoonmyst at Jenkins, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
I liked this book.