Cube Chic

by Kelley Moore | Humor |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 7/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 07, 2006
I came across this book after I'd picked up the quirky Pimp My Cubicle (I think it was one of Amazon's patented "you might also like"s - those things have cost me a LOT of money!) Anyway, this is another how-to-decorate-your-cube book, but while it looks as though it would have more amusing content than the other book (being much thicker and loaded with photographs), in fact it's more of a straight-faced how-to book. Sure, there's humor, but that derives from the extremes of some of the designs; the text itself isn't jokey at all and concentrates on advice about using glue guns and how to keep vinyl crease-free when hanging it on your cubicle walls.

Many of the ideas are inspiring - the Nap Cube, for example, features a snug little bed tucked under the desk, something that would have come in very handy on many of those overnighters at the office. (The rest of the decor for this theme is a bit much, though: blue walls with big stars on them, puffy white edging on the desktop to simulate clouds - I don't find that very restful myself!)

The Golf Cube (which includes the lining of the cube walls and much of the desk with Astroturf!) is also a bit over the top, but the suggestion on how to set up a miniature golf hole with sand trap - and to use the sand as a pen-and-pencil holder - was very clever. As with most of the design ideas, I could see someone using a few of the elements, but not the whole thing.

One theme that I did find very handsome in its entirety was the Library Cube, in which an ordinary cubicle was transformed into a simulated old-English-country-house library complete with dark (faux) paneling on the walls, leather-covered chair, leather-bound books, portraits - and a nice roaring fire [as the desktop image on the computer screen]. Looks wonderfully cozy, although it might be tough to get any work done - the temptation to just have some more tea and then doze a bit would be very strong!

An entertaining book to thumb through, with some interesting ideas that could be used on their own to ornament a desk or a small corner (in the office or at home) - might even inspire some party-decoration themes. But using any of these in an actual office cube in their entirety would probably not be a good career move {grin}.

[See more about this book at the publisher site - it's from Quirk Books. Be sure to check out some of their other titles as well! And to see an excerpt showing more of the designs, such as the exotic Safari Cube, click over to Amazon and use its search-inside feature.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Digital Credit Union, 257 Lowell Rd. in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (8/9/2006 UTC) at Digital Credit Union, 257 Lowell Rd. in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

After showing this book to friends and family, and having several rounds of debate as to which design most closely matches our own ideal cube-styles, I've decided to turn this book loose. I plan to leave it propped up on the deposit-envelope dispenser at the drive-through ATM window behind the DCU at about 1 pm - hope the finder enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by dbrigh20 from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
I love this book. I happen to be a designer and it's quite inspiring. I found it on top of an ATM at DCU.

CAUGHT IN NASHUA NEW HAMPSHIRE USA