Shade's Children

by Garth Nix | Teens |
Registered by PatchworkPerson of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 7/7/2006
Journal Entry 1 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 7, 2006
This is a free exclusive copy from Ottakar's

Amazon.co.uk Synopsis
The key to survival rests in the hands of Shade's Children. Gripping science fiction adventure from the author of Sabriel and Mister Monday. In a futuristic urban wasteland, evil Overlords have decreed that no child shall live a day past his fourteenth birthday. On that Sad Birthday, the child is the object of an obscene harvest resulting in the construction of a machinelike creature whose sole purpose is to kill. The mysterious Shade -- once a man, but now more like the machines he fights -- recruits the few children fortunate enough to escape. With luck, cunning, and skill, four of Shade's children come closer than any to discovering the source of the Overlords' power -- and the key to their downfall. But the closer the children get, the more ruthless Shade seems to become

Journal Entry 2 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 10, 2006
RABCK to TutleyMutley

Journal Entry 3 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, July 13, 2006
Thanks, Patchworkperson! I do so love Garth Nix~

Journal Entry 4 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, September 18, 2006
Despite being a children's book - I really enjoyed reading this adventure and it IS a quick read for all those with teetering mount toobies.

Imagine a superior Enid Blyton writing scifi! Imagine a world populated by children under 14yrs with no adults and a 'terminator' style landscape of battles between cyborgs ruled over by a handful of ultimately evil and cruel 'overlords'. Imagine you are one of those children incarcerated in a Dorm, knowing your brain will be stripped and encased in one of those cyborgs as soon as you reach 14 ('sad' brithday). Garth Nix does this brilliantly and spins a stylishly neat yarn with a beginning, middle and end. He captures the world of teenagers and their emotions in detail and the heroes of the story behave with credible bravery. Even the human trapped in machine Shade is ultimately triumphant - this book is littered with endearing characters and the baddies are satisfyingly evil and easy to hate with no worrying grey areas!
Can you tell I'm a Garth Nix FAN?

From Amazon:
Shades of brilliance, 24 Jul 2006
Reviewer: Phoebe Caulfield "Caught in the Rye" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent addition to the Garth Nix library. Shade's Children is dark and sinister, and the harsh and inhumane treatment of the children is shocking. But the relationships between the main child protagonists are touching and show there is hope for humanity.

Reserved for virtual bookbox 5

Journal Entry 5 by Cyzaki from Southam, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 7, 2006
What perfect timing! I was just looking through mount TBR for something new to read, when I heard a noise downstairs and this plopped onto my doormat :-)

I'll get it read quickly, as I think there are a lot of people who would like to join a ring for this!

Journal Entry 6 by Cyzaki from Southam, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 9, 2006
OK, this book will go out on a ring once I've finished reading it. Quite a relaxed ring at that - just let me know if you have the book for more than a month or so so I know what's happening to it. Posting internationally by surface mail is fine. The list is as follows (order subject to change as more people join):

nuttymum303 (UK --> ?)
billhookbabe (UK --> ?)
loom92 (India --> Asia)
toyjoy (Singapore --> ?)
deense (Australia --> ?)
malagan (Netherlands --> ?)
Wubbaducky (UK --> ?)
4orty7even (UK --> ?) <---- Book is here
Rillaith (near end, UK --> ?)
candy-is-dandy (near end, UK --> ?)
Back to Cyzaki

Journal Entry 7 by Cyzaki from Southam, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
This is a good book - definitely up to Garth Nix's usual standard. It is quite graphic at times, and the ending seemed a bit rushed to me, but it's well worth reading. I was wondering the whole way through if Shade was really on the side of the children, and that aspect was resolved really well.

Journal Entry 8 by Cyzaki from Southam, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2006
Posted to nuttymum303. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by nuttymum303 from Kettering, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2006
Received today

Journal Entry 10 by nuttymum303 from Kettering, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Finished this book and was a bit miffed near the end, but a very good book.

Gonna send to Billhookbabe.

Journal Entry 11 by nuttymum303 from Kettering, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Finished this book and was a bit miffed near the end, but a very good book.

Gonna send to Billhookbabe.

Journal Entry 12 by billhookbabe on Friday, November 10, 2006
I received this today and can't wait to finish it. It is a bit lighter weight than my current read,Green Mars.

Journal Entry 13 by billhookbabe on Wednesday, November 15, 2006
This is a fabulous, well drawn futuristic ripping yarn, the sort of story I wish I had written.

Many of the main themes are touched upon by Nix. Love, hate, humanity, good, evil and the fine line between the two and genocide. All in one highly readable book.

Yes, the last part was a bit rushed and the last pages weren't necessary, but all in all, a darn good book. I have Mr Monday to read soon and look forward to it.

Released 15 yrs ago (11/15/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Releasing to Loom92, enjoy. Released for the 2006 Keep them Moving Challenge run by guinaveve.

Journal Entry 15 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Tuesday, November 28, 2006
I just received the book along with The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. A brilliant time for the book to arrive, as I just finished a set of exams yesterday. I will try to start on the book soon. I loved Garth Nix's The Seventh Tower cycle and Sabriel. I'm currently looking for the other books in Old Kingdom trilogy, Lirael and Abhorrssen.

Journal Entry 16 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Thursday, November 30, 2006
Not bad, but below Garth Nix's standards I'm afraid. After Sabriel, I was looking for something spectacular from Garth Nix, but Shade's Children hardly manages to rise above the children's literature tag.

After a fairly good book and some nice characterisation, Nix disappoints with a very unsatisfying finish. It reeks of a poorly executed deus ex machina. Definitely not one of her better works. Still, I'll be looking forward to her other works, particularly the Old Kingdom books.

PMing toyjoy for address.

Journal Entry 17 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Monday, December 11, 2006
Sent to toyjoy by surface mail last friday.

Journal Entry 18 by toyjoy on Sunday, April 15, 2007
Hi! I had just received the book, I will take a while to pass it on as I’m had several other books too. Hope you don’t mind!

06/07/07

Oops, apologise for the delay everyone. I had only started on this book, it's rather interesting about one of the character Gold Eyes and the myterious Shade. But what I'm rather curious is, which year are they in? Perhaps I had missed it, or the year will turn up at some part. Hopefully I'm able to finished it soon too and pass it on. I'm rather slow lately with other books or even lacking of time to read it and had to squeeze any juice out of myself.

16/07/07
We will always remember Ella and Drum, the interesting couple who never had professed their feelings but they are able to be together in their afterlife. Look forward more of nix's work.
PMing to deense for her contact.

06/08/07
After multiple tries to reach deense but it was futile. Had Pm to the next reader- malagan. Will send it to her once I have her adddress.

20/08/07
malagan wished to skipped, PMing the next member.

Journal Entry 19 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, September 15, 2007
Arrived safe and sound - many thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, September 20, 2007
I hadn't read any Garth Nix before and was pleasantly surprised by this. It didn't feel like a children's book (but then again, it didn't quite feel like it was aimed exclusively at an adult market either) and was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing this. I'm sure I've got 4orty7even's address somewhere so will post it out as soon as I can get to a post office...

Journal Entry 21 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Thursday, September 27, 2007
Send this on to 4orty7even yesterday - thanks for sharing and happy reading!

Journal Entry 22 by 4orty7even from Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, September 27, 2007
Arrived today - many thanks. My daughter loves Garth Nix books, so we'll be fighting over this one !

Journal Entry 23 by 4orty7even from Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 20, 2008
A quick update - read this myself while waiting for the kids to get round to it. Quite enjoyable storyline, if a bit naive, but hey it's only a kid's book. Will check if my two still want to read it.