Getting Stoned with Savages : A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji

by J. Maarten Troost | Travel |
ISBN: 0767921992 Global Overview for this book
Registered by trevor4551 of Caloundra, Queensland Australia on 7/4/2006
Journal Entry 1 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, July 04, 2006
From amazon.com...

Using a format similar to that of his previous work, The Sex Lives of Cannibals, Troost creates another comical and touching travel memoir. Troost and his wife, Sylvia, move from busy Washington, D.C., to Vanuatu, a nation made up of 83 islands in the South Pacific. As Sylvia works for a regional nonprofit, Troost immerses himself in the islands' culture, an odd mix of the islanders' thousand-year-old "kastoms" along with imperialist British and French influences. This really means that Troost gets to live in a nice house while he gets drunk on kava; dodges "a long inferno of magma and a cascade of lava bombs" at the "world's most accessible volcano"; and checks out the "calcified" leftovers from one of Vanuatu's not-so-ancient traditions, cannibalism. At the end of the book, the couple move to Fiji so that Sylvia will have state-of-the-art medical care when she gives birth to their first baby. While modern-day Fiji provides little fodder for Troost's comic sensibilities, the birth of his son enables him to share some deeper thoughts and decide it is "time to stop looking for paradise." A funny travelogue with a sentimental heart, Troost's latest work genuinely captures the search for paradise as well as the need for home.

Journal Entry 2 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 08, 2006
10/10/07--Bookring complete!

RULES:
(modified, from bookcrosser LaurieS)

What is a bookring and how do I get in on it?
A bookring begins when a bookcrosser decides to send a book on a controlled journey. A list of interested readers is set up and the book passes from one reader who reads it and then sends it along to the person next in line. Eventually the book ends up back in the hands of the original owner which, for this book, will be me, gaysocialworker. Readers can join this bookring until the closing date, listed above. Just private message (PM) me and let me know where you are located--city, state, country--and if you are able to ship internationally. Be sure to let me know if you would like to be placed lower down on the list.

What should I do when I receive the book?
Log on to bookcrossing and type up a journal entry so I know it reached you okay. Then private message (PM) the next person in line to get their mailing address so there will be no waiting once you finish the book, if they do not respond within 10 days PM the next reader in line (and me too so I know they are no longer interested). Please read the book within 30 days and when complete add another journal entry with your thoughts about the book. Tell me the truth! Was it the best thing you ever read or a complete and utter waste of time? I love to talk books, the good, the bad and even the ugly (ugly can sometimes be lots of fun to dissect), you can write one sentence or a hundred. When you finish send the book along to the next reader in line. Please mail the book via Media Mail to save on postage in the US or via the slow boat to China if sending overseas.

What if I’m the last in line?
PM me! I would like to have the book back at the end of the bookring.

Help! I’m too swamped with book commitments and it is almost my turn!
If you find yourself in this situation PM me and I will bump you down a few notches on the list (if possible). Believe me, I understand!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 08, 2006
The List:

Please read, journal, and mail to the next bookcrosser within 30 days.

cougmax in Washington
Caridad in Florida
SKingList in New York Deleted per request
sistert in Maryland*
beekeeper40 in United Kingdom*
valerief in New York
>>>>>return to gaysocialworker in Texas

Last updated, 09/25/06

Journal Entry 4 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 08, 2006
Sending to its first stop, cougmax in WA. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 5 by cougmax from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Arrived safe, thanks!

Looks like a great read, I excepted the first book, Sex Lives of Cannibals, nearly a year ago off bookrelay but haven't received it yet. I might have to search out another copy if this is a fun book!

Journal Entry 6 by cougmax from Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, August 16, 2006
I loved it! What a great read! Troost is lol hilarious. His stories of bonding at the neighborhood kava bars are wonderfully funny and touching. The locals must have loved this open-minded, peace loving couple. His wife is so strong to have a child overseas. I think I would have gotten scared and flown home to all the unnecessary tests and my Mom's help. I purchased the first book today.

will pm caridad now.

Journal Entry 7 by cougmax from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, August 28, 2006
off to caridad today!
(I just sent her a bookring last week, gosh if I could get organized I could save myself a dollar or two!!) ;)

Journal Entry 8 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Received today.

Cougmax - long time, no see - LOL. Maybe I will move to Washington to make BXing easier for both of us.

Journal Entry 9 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, September 08, 2006
Absolutley one of the funniest and also educational books I have ever read. I give the author's wife a LOT of credit for letting him persue this project. The author reminds me of an ex-boyfriend that didn't belive in following the whole traditional career & family path. I also found the political and cultral aspects in Fiji an eye opener. I look forward to reading his other book.

Journal Entry 10 by Caridad from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, September 08, 2006
Had PMed sistert for her address when I received the book. Wraped up and forwarded to her.

BTW sistert, I was a candy striper in the hospital you were born in about 30 years ago. Small world.

Journal Entry 11 by sistert from Catonsville, Maryland USA on Friday, September 15, 2006
Arrived in yesterday's mail from Caridad. I have one book ahead of it (reading now) and then well get this started.

Caridad, that's too funny! As I'm now 36, we missed each other by about 6 years! LOL

Journal Entry 12 by sistert from Catonsville, Maryland USA on Thursday, October 12, 2006
The title of this books correctly conveys what this travel journal is all about, drugs and eating people. Now don't run screaming just yet. The drug of choice is kava kava, once a darling buzz word for a healthy alternative to prescription drugs for releaving stress. Here the author drinks the real stuff by the coconut shells full and lives to tell the tale, hilariously. As for the cannibal part, yes our hero investigates the practice of "eating the man" and once again lives to tell the tale. I don't know about you but if I'd had the choice, give me the nasty tasting kava kava and leave someone else to hang out with the cannibals. EEK!

The failing of this book is like so many in this genre, they go on too long without much else to say. Yes we know that kava kava makes all the bad stuff go away and yes we know that coming anywhere near Fiji once upon a time probably got you tossed into a cookpot (and in some areas still will). But isn't there anything else you did? All ventures onto other topics sooner or later come sliding back to these two topics. I plodded through the last couple of chapters just so I could see what the final outcome was. Not much apparently.

Contacting beekeeper40 now.

Journal Entry 13 by sistert at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 13, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (11/10/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to beekeeper40!

Journal Entry 14 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, December 30, 2006
Arrived safely today. I shall look forward to reading this one, especially as it will transport me away from a dreary, damp and windswept Norfolk UK to the tropical islands of Fiji.

Journal Entry 15 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2007
A good read. I enjoyed touring around the islands with Troost as my guide. It made me very envious of the way they got out of the 'rat race' but I don't think personally I would care for the life they led, I am afraid I like my creature comforts a bit too much! Now going to put the first one on my wish list.

Released 13 yrs ago (1/22/2007 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser in Bookring, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to valerief.

Journal Entry 17 by valerief from Queens, New York USA on Saturday, April 07, 2007
Thanks to beekeeper40! I think this arrived while I was away. Glad to find it.

I have a few books ahead of this, but it will go back to gaysocialworker eventually. Perhaps I will read it on an upcoming vacation.

Journal Entry 18 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
NOTE FROM ORGANIZER-- Please update on status. Thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by valerief from Queens, New York USA on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Real life has gotten in the way of my reading habit. Will be mailing this back to gaysocialworker to close the ring in a week and a half. More comments when I finish...

UPDATE 9/28/2007: An out-of-town work trip also got in the way of finishing and sending this back. It's going back home to gaysocialworker in my next post office run.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit, as I'm uber-obsessed with travel, the more exotic the better. I found him a more narcotic-addled, less scaredy-cat version of Bill Bryson. Looking forward to scoping out The Sex Lives of Cannibals and his other writings in periodicals.

Journal Entry 20 by trevor4551 from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 11, 2007
Bookring arrived safely back in Texas. Thanks to all who participated!