Labyrinth

by Kate Mosse | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Fire-Dragon of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 7/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, July 02, 2006
July 1209: In Carcassonne a seventeen-year-old girl is given a mysterious book by her father which he claims contains the secret of the true Grail. Although Alais cannot understand the strange words and symbols hidden within, she knows that her destiny lies in keeping the secret of the labyrinth safe.

July 2005: Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons in a forgotten cave in the French Pyrenees. Puzzled by the labyrinth symbol carved into the rock, she realises she's disturbed something that was meant to remain hidden. Somehow, a link to a horrific past - her past - has been revealed.

I've heard good things about this book so I'm really looking forward to reading it. This was a NSS gift from Dinkie at the Birmingham Unconvention this year - thank you Dinkie!

Journal Entry 2 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, January 07, 2007
A good brain bandage for the beach or to read by a cosy fire. It's hardly literary but it's far better written than that other well-known Grail mystery by a certain Mr Brown. I found it quite enjoyable but it's not one that will stay with me.

The lasting impression I was left with was of the beauty of Caracassona and the Occitaine region of France - I would like to visit.

Released 12 yrs ago (1/9/2007 UTC) at The Barley Mow, 104 Horseferry Rd in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom

I am taking this to the BookCrossing literary quiz night on Tuesday.

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, January 13, 2007
I'm not sure how this ended up at today's Ipswich meet-up? It was fated that I should get a copy after letting someone else take the fall for my interest at the last meet! This comes very highly recommended.

(31/01) Finished - review to follow

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 02, 2007
I mentioned that I had started reading this on the BCUK Yahoo forum, flippantly calling it the, ‘Da Vinci code for girls’. Well, allow me to revise my opinion...boys might quite like it as well :-)

Seriously, the similarities between the books content and structure mean that the apparent love/hate dichotomy seems a bit odd? Besides the obvious Holy Grail connection, and religious detective angle, both books are exciting, rely on unbelievable coincidences, juggling events in different times and locations, and some degree of amateurish naivety from the leads. Both build towards a climax and have quite preposterous endings! Both books are, I believe, written well enough and keep the pace going, although Labyrinth is too long, as some detractors have pointed out.

The key difference for me is that Kate Mosse seems to have a genuine love of the area, the Languedoc centred on Carcassonne with some action in the southern Sabarthes mountains and in Chartres. The historical detail and flavour of the people from d’Oc, the language (Occitan) and the background to this particular Crusade against the Cathars* in the early C13th and the roots of the ‘Spanish’ Inquisition were fascinating, and in some way made up for all the contrivances and Egyptian symbols and immortality tosh ;)

*Although apparently both terms were not used at the time

Footnote: I’ve just read a Steven Runciman book about the first crusade – or rather extracts in a Pocket Penguin – which gives a further insight into the real events 100 or so years before Alise, Sajhe et al. Its interesting to see the parallels between the 2, as religious crusades or expansionism/aggression; maybe the former has ever been used by some to justify the latter?

Released 12 yrs ago (2/10/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

This is going back to the Ipswich meet-up whence it came ...there must be someone left who hasn't read it :)