Lord Of The Flies

by William Golding | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by raeliz64 of Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 7/1/2006
Journal Entry 1 by raeliz64 from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 01, 2006
From Amazon -
"The story of a group of boys who, after a plane crash, set up a fragile community on a previously uninhabited island. As memories of home recede and the blood from frenzied pig-hunts arouses them, the boys' childish fear turns into something deeper and more primitive."

I had to read this book at school and hated it at first. I came to appreciate it, as I understood it better, but I have no wish to read it again.

Released 13 yrs ago (9/20/2006 UTC) at Coffee Heaven, LCB Depot, Rutland Street in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by littlemark from Middleton, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
One of those books it's high time I read.

I can certainly see why this book is regarded as a modern classic, a fairly simple story of a group of boys suddenly finding themselves outside the world of order and rules following a plane crash on a desserted island. Using children gives Golding all kinds of extra dimensions to play with, and the group become 'savage' perhaps far more readily than a group of adults would. The power struggles are fascinating, and the fragmenting into two rival tribes is reflective of society/humanity on a much wider scale than merely this microcosm. I wondered whether a group of girls would display more 'adult' thinking, or maybe the tribal urge would eventually take hold.

Having said all that, I found this book reminded me too much of 'school reading', and I felt I should be writing an essay on it rather than actually enjoying the read.

On it's way up North...

Journal Entry 4 by phoebephoenix from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, November 11, 2006
Thank you for sending this, it is on my school reading list and I am looking forward to it.