Atonement

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 038572179x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Cinnamon-Girl of Newnan, Georgia USA on 6/29/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Thursday, June 29, 2006
This was my bookclub's June selection, which I chose based on the opinions of people I knew who'd read it, and also the critical acclaim it's received. This is one of those rare instances when the praise is actually warranted. Atonement is a wonderfully written, intense story that just keeps getting better the more you read. You can read more of my comments here.

Journal Entry 2 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Thursday, July 13, 2006
Sending today to lukutuoli - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, July 23, 2006
Ian McEwan has safely arrived to Finland, thank you, Cinnamon-Girl! This is my first international bookring, mostly I´ve read books in Finnish.

Journal Entry 4 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, July 23, 2006
OOps- I´m sorry! I´m not anonymous at all! It was me, lukutuoli, that received the book and wanted to say thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Beautifully written, intensive story, I wanted to read it immediately to the end. Thank you, so much, Cinnamon-Girl, for this reading experience! Ian McEwan will leave Finland for Sweden very soon!

Journal Entry 6 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Friday, July 28, 2006
Atonement has arrived in Sweden! I will probably read it over the weekend. Looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 7 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Monday, July 31, 2006
Good book! The part where the caracters are in the war are one of the better descriptions of war I've ever read - even if the book isn't about the war as such. I liked the end, but should probably not discuss that any futher here...

Got wollie's address, putting the book in the mailbox tomorrow (8 august)!

Journal Entry 8 by wollie on Friday, August 18, 2006
I received this one a couple of days ago, and started reading immediately. I've read a few other novels by McEwan, and loved them. I'll be travelling by train a lot this weekend, which is a good place to read, so i'm really looking forward to spending a couple of hours with Atonement.

Journal Entry 9 by wollie on Tuesday, August 22, 2006
wow, i did indeed finish Atonement this weekend, it was great! both philosophical -especially the ending- and a very exciting read, but most of all i liked how real the characters felt to me. I'll send it on to terpsicole today. Cinnamon-Girl, thanks very much for sharing this book! I wouldn't have read it anytime soon if you hadn't offered to put me on this book ring.

Journal Entry 10 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Just got in the mail with a lovely postcard!
will start reading immediatly!

Journal Entry 11 by terpsicore from Algés, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, September 22, 2006
Wonderful book! Ian mcEwan does have a way with words.
The WWII scenes were amazingly vivid.And the depiction of Briony's coming of age.
I'm planning on getting my own private copy.
Will ship to Sugaryfun on Monday.
Thanks so much for sharing, Cinnamon-Girl!

Journal Entry 12 by Sugaryfun from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, October 12, 2006
It arrived in the post today. Thanks Terpsicore, and Cinnamon Girl for sending it out in the first place. I'll start reading it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 13 by Sugaryfun from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, November 06, 2006
The only other Ian McEwan book I've read was The Cement Garden, which I really didn't enjoy. I'm glad I gave another one of his books a go, because Atonement was wonderful! The parts about the war created such an intense atmosphere, I really lost myself in it. I was a little ambivalent about the ending, but the rest of the book more than makes up for it.

I've PM'd Miss Owl for her address, so I'll be sending it on soon.

Journal Entry 14 by Sugaryfun from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 09, 2006
Posted off to Miss Owl this afternoon.

Journal Entry 15 by Miss-Owl on Monday, November 20, 2006
Received today after coming back from holiday. Thanks to Sugaryfun & Cinnamon-Girl.

After a 24 hour flight I'm feeling quite in need of recovery - a holiday to recover from the holiday! - but will get reading as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 16 by Miss-Owl on Friday, November 24, 2006
Hmm... turns out jet lag & sleepless nights are great for getting lots of reading done :)

Intelligent, measured, rich, & above all *real*: a powerful read. I loved the way McEwan was able to give words to those formless entities & shifting emotions that make up our rich internal world. The first I've read of his books but it certainly won't be the last.

Thanks to Cinnamon-Girl for initiating the ring.

Journal Entry 17 by MomsL8 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, December 28, 2006
I've got it! Sorry - I should have logged this as received quite sooner (last week), but the holiday season slipped right next to me TOO quickly!

I am a middle school teacher, folks. I need to ask your patience for a bit. I just wrapped up the semester and have a few things more to grade to turn in my grades by January 8. I will sneak in reading this, but I know I will be a little slower because of the time of year.

When I return to school in January, I am starting literature circles (kind of like book clubs) with my classes in February, and some of the books I've not read, so I'm hoping to be finished with Atonement in January so I can quickly brush up on the young adolescent books my students are reading for their lit circles.

It's always a precarious time of year for a teacher here, so please bear with me! :-)

Jill

Journal Entry 18 by MomsL8 from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Thursday, May 17, 2007
Well, at last, I am finished with the book and finally able to send it on its way - it's been sent on to fizzfred priority mail w/ delivery confirmation with tracking # 0306 1070 0001 7714 3033 this afternoon.

I wish to extend my sincere apologies to all who are in this bookring. A myriad of circumstances, including the death of my mother from lung cancer, got in my way of reading this book in a timely manner and then sending it on in a timely manner.

I am usually not this poor of a BX'er - life just preempted many of my plans.

That being said, the beginning of the book was a struggle for me to "breeze" through, with McEwan's English prosey style. I wasn't sure what the climax of the story would be by the time Briony finally had her childish meltdown in the gardens.

And the sordid details of the night of the dinner left me wondering who would be atoning and for what....that kept me through the climax.

I made several predictions then as the climax piqued....none of them came true, and I really fell hook, line, and sinker for the ending, or what Briony would have me believe.

The book's theme helped me to realize that I needed to do my living now, rather than atone later. I don't want to live the ironic life that Cecelia and her true love did.

Thank you all - for letting me receive that message. It came at a due time, and it provided me impetus to get through my difficult situation.

I'm so sorry again; please don't stop bx'ing with me - I'm trying to get back on the saddle this summer!

Thanks, all - mostly to fizzfred and cinnamongirl - the most patient and understanding bx'ers ever -

What a bookring mom cinnamongirl has been! Thank you!

Jill

Journal Entry 19 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2007
I am so sorry for your loss, Jill. Please don't stress about keeping the book for a few months. At least it was safe.

Now it is safe with me. :) I will read it in the next couple weeks and journal again soon.

Journal Entry 20 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Augh, I really dropped the ball on this ring. I did finally send it to saram23 on October 22. I was just checking to see if she received it yet and noticed I didn't even officially set the status to "traveling". She must have gotten it by now. I'll PM her to find out.

Anyway, I am so sorry I was such a bad BookCrosser with this book. I read about half of it and just couldn't finish. It was making me so sad. I did have to skip to the end to see how it turned out though. I wonder if I'll see the movie. It has my new favorite actor, James McAvoy. Hum. Not sure I can sit through it even with him. :)

Thanks for sharing Cinnamon-Girl. I'm glad I tried to read it. Thank you also for gently pushing me to move it on. I am sorry I took so long.

Journal Entry 21 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
I think everyone was getting worried about this. Just as I got a message from fizzfred about the MIA book it arrives. I have to finish writing my NaNoWriMo novel this month, but I will start reading this as I can and pass it on as soon as I am done.

Journal Entry 22 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, January 15, 2008
I finished! I loved this book. It took me a little while to get to it and then get into it, but once I did I fell in love. I also waiting to see the movie too so now I am very excited to do that this weekend. Thank you Cinnamon-Girl for doing this ring. I am glad I was able to get on. I am going to PM you right now for your mailing address to return the book home.

Journal Entry 23 by Cinnamon-Girl from Newnan, Georgia USA on Saturday, February 02, 2008
This book has arrived safely back home and I plan to wild release soon so some lucky reader will discover the traveling this book has already done.

Thanks to all who joined the ring and kept the book safe in its travels! I appreciated your comments and am glad you participated.

Journal Entry 24 by Cinnamon-Girl at Partners Pizza in Peachtree City, Georgia USA on Sunday, February 10, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (2/10/2008 UTC) at Partners Pizza in Peachtree City, Georgia USA

left on a bench outside on a beautiful sunny day ...