Once upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart, Book 1)

by Janette Oke | Women's Fiction |
Registered by ReadingGal79 of Antioch, Illinois USA on 6/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by ReadingGal79 from Antioch, Illinois USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
This book didn't sell at my mom's garage sale, so she gave it to me on 6/10 to release through Bookcrossing. My daughters and I want to read this before we release them.

c. 1981 -- 203 pages -- Trade Paperback -- #1 in the Seasons of the Heart series

Front Cover: We were an unusual family -- I knew that. But I had felt we belonged together, that we fitted somehow. All of a sudden, with no warning, everything was about to change.

Back Cover: Sure, it's unusual to have an 18-year-old mother when you're 12. But when you're an orphan and she's your aunt -- and the only mother you've ever had -- well, as I explained, it had worked out real well. That's why I got so riled up when I heard Grandpa and Uncle Charlie talkin' about findin' a fella for Auntie Lou!

You see, somethin' had to be done! I couldn't just sit back and watch our special family get broken up. But with Grandpa and Uncle Charlie workin' so hard to get Auntie Lou married off. I really had my job cut out for me. Then, when that poor preacher came along, it really got complicated ...

But, anyway, it's all here in the story. It'll make you laugh sometimes, but I don't mind. And sometimes you might even cry a little. But I think you'll understand why I did what I did -- chances are, you know too what it means to be scared and lonely and worried about changes. And maybe you'll find out what I found out -- about the best kind of family, I mean.

Journal Entry 2 by ReadingGal79 at Antioch, Illinois USA on Thursday, June 30, 2022
I finished reading this book today (6/30/22). The first half of the book was more enjoyable than the second half, before it got religious. I enjoyed the set-up of three old men (Grandpa Daniel, Uncle Charlie and Gramps) trying to find a husband for the young gal, Louisa. However, she did just fine on her own. The boy, Josh, and his dogs was touching and the fire was suspenseful.

Released 1 mo ago (8/11/2022 UTC) at Little Free Library #129571 - 40625 S. Sunset Dr. in Antioch, Illinois USA

Released in our Sunset Little Free Library.