Aberystwyth Mon Amour

by Malcolm Pryce | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/28/2006
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
As recommended to me, a spoof noir thriller set in the Welsh seaside resort, which is now bizarrely run by Druids in sharp Swansea suits! I've started this...so far, so funny

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 30, 2006
This was really good fun, Pryce managed to maintain the Welsh noir meets League of Gentlemen comedy and inventiveness to the end; and their was an interesting twist involving the war in Patagonia (the ‘Welsh Vietnam’) and an ancient submerged Celtic kingdom!

Louie Knight tries hard to live up to his hard-boiled detective image, but when the local Aberystwyth underworld involves toffee-apple Dens, seedy tea-cosy shops, a mad schoolboy genius Dai Brainbocs, and a psychopathic PE teacher, you know that it’s strictly for laughs.

I'm going to pass this on to my nearly-Welsh SiL, and look out for others in the series.

Taking to Birmingham later for my SiL

Journal Entry 4 by abarker from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Caught the book on a train to London, didn't even realise it was a book crossing and didn't read it for over a month. Thoroughly enjoyed it will release it in the cafe of the shopping centre, maybe it will give some shopping zombies some amusement! Very funny book, loved the noir humour of it!

CAUGHT IN MILTON KEYNES BUCKINGHAMSHIRE UK