The Aran Islands

by J. M. Synge | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookCrosser of Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on 12/19/2002
Journal Entry 1 by BookCrosser from Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, December 19, 2002
This book was first published in 1907. It is the interesting account of the author's stay in the Isles of Aran.

Journal Entry 2 by BookCrosser at Post Office in Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 22, 2003
Release planned for Friday, October 24, 2003 at Post Office in Culemborg, Gelderland Netherlands.

Posted to fellow bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 3 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, October 25, 2003
The book arrived 10 minutes ago, by post. Thank you very much, Bookcrosser! 'The Aran Islands' looks like one of those wonderful travels in time and space, I can hardly wait to embark...

Journal Entry 4 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 14, 2003
I've enjoyed The Aran Islands very much, not just for the beautiful description of the islands and their inhabitants around 1900, but also because it's wonderful to see how the awakening pride in Gaelic culture, Romanticism, the islands and the personality of the author come together in this book.
.......
Some years ago I saw Robert Flaherty's film 'Man of Aran' , Ireland, 1934.
Don't miss the chance to see it if you happen to find it.
.......

miketrollstigen
erdlinde
Janna2
Dettie

Journal Entry 5 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, November 18, 2003
thanks for this one. It is on top of my TBR pile, next to my bed...

Released on Monday, January 12, 2004 at to fellow BookCrosser in Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands.

The Aran Islands are travelling to YvonneP. I did not finish it. It did not really appeal to me. It goes into descriptions but hardly into motivations. It looked too superficial to me.

However through another interesting serendipity activity I am now the proud owner of a beautifully knitted white sweater from the wool of Aran sheep. It says so, on the label in the cuff. How about that! This remains a personal copy, though.

Journal Entry 7 by yvonnep from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 15, 2004
Well, well, well, it is always the same. Bookrings never come singly or it never rains but it pours. O.k. I will have to speed up. I'm very curious whether I will like this book. I love travel books, so we will see. Thank you Bookcrosser for starting this ring and thanks to Biba that it's so fast with me. :-)

Journal Entry 8 by yvonnep from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, January 26, 2004
No, this is not the kind of book I especially like. I didn't finish it. Sigh... it happens far too often at the moment. Anyway, the book is on its way to nrrdgrrl.

Journal Entry 9 by nrrdgrrl from Johannesburg - Fourways, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, January 27, 2004
yippieee! just what i needed on this bleak day, a surprise book in the mail! thanks dear.

i'm very curious what it'll be like, given the mixed reviews of others. on the other hand; however much i like these people, our reading tastes are usually not the same. so this book is a real trip to the unknown.

i'm just halfway through another ring book, which i will finish soon because i don't like it. that's the beauty of bookcrossing: you get to read books others recommend and if they turn out not to be what you fancy, they're gone without remorse... like i said, i really wonder in which category these islands will end up.

Journal Entry 10 by nrrdgrrl from Johannesburg - Fourways, Gauteng South Africa on Friday, February 20, 2004
tip for readers after me: skip the introduction, it's extensive and bloody boring. i'd been stuck in it for at least a week before i decided to switch to the main story. which i like a lot. and only now that i'm nearing the end of it, i'm beginning to be interested in a bit more about the writer and his background. if he writes about "half naked women bathing" (on the mainland), what did he see? just ankles, i presume?

great amateur anthropology.

some more info on the small aran website of the irish tourist board: http://www.visitaranislands.com. see the photo from the local museum - these are the petticoats that synge keeps referring to. this photo and plinius' dictionary lookup confirmed what i had thought: that the women did not wear their underwear (petticoats) over their heads during a storm   :o)
the word also refers to coat-like shawls.
though i'm still stuck with that festive looking but very silly mind image.

Released on Sunday, February 22, 2004 at controlled release in hilversum, Noord-Holland Netherlands.

annet74 sent her address really swift, and the book is on it's way!

Journal Entry 12 by Annet74 from not specified, not specified not specified on Wednesday, February 25, 2004
Just got this from nrrdgrrl, together with a great little thing about Indonesian cooking! Thanks, I'll read it as soon as I find the time and will send it on!

Journal Entry 13 by Annet74 from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, June 08, 2004
I didn't really have time to read it - that is to say, there were other books that I wanted to read more - so, I'm going to send this one on to Maupi!
Have fun!

Journal Entry 14 by HHX-328595 on Monday, June 14, 2004
Arrived in Utrecht, thanks Plinius and Annet. Will be read asap.

Journal Entry 15 by HHX-328595 on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
I repeat nrrdgrrl's tip: skip the introduction. It is very off-putting. I did leaf through it after finishing Synge's writing though and there are some interesting bits in it.
I liked reading this book. It really conveys a sense of the atmosphere on the islands at the time. Occasionally it actually made me long for the remoteness and quietude described. But that's romanticizing life on the islands and skipping the harshness.
Of course, some of the descriptions and analyses may seem a bit outdated today, but that's just fits in with the mentality then, I guess.
Off it goes to bilbi now.

Journal Entry 16 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Thursday, July 08, 2004
Just received today. Well there are quite a few 'rings/'rays on my TBR pile. I'd make another entry ASAP

Journal Entry 17 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, July 21, 2004
I liked The Aran Islands. All the story-telling things and the hard life of the islanders. Yet, I found that Synge was sometimes a bit condescending when he talks about them. I mean that he qualifies them of "primitive" only because they lead a different life. Well at least he doesn't try to introduce "civilisation" and for that it was a nice read.

Journal Entry 18 by blacksheeps99 from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, July 31, 2004
Received this book two days ago - thanks so much :-)

Looking forward to read it!

Pst, don´t let an Irishman know that you moved the Aran Islands from Ireland to Scotland (UK)! *lol*

Someone else already said it, if you have the posibility to watch Robert Flaherty's movie "Man of Aran" - take it!!

Journal Entry 19 by blacksheeps99 from not specified, not specified not specified on Sunday, August 29, 2004
Very interesting read. Until now I´ve only been to Inismore (the smallest island) - but after reading this (and seen Flaherty´s film), I´d love to visit the other two! Will be off to Italy as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 20 by blacksheeps99 from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, September 04, 2004
Posted two days ago.

Journal Entry 21 by solimano from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Friday, September 17, 2004
It's here in Florence! Thanks.

Journal Entry 22 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, October 18, 2004
Safely arrived in The Low Lands again. Having loads to read and being the last one on the raylist (for the time being), I won't start immediately.

Journal Entry 23 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, October 31, 2004
Have read the second part of the book. This is the part in which J.M. Synge describes every day life on the Aran Islands, in the period 1898-1901. To my surprise I read it in one go, notes included! It’s not a thorough analysis of the island and its inhabitants, but it’s a simple, honest account of Synge stays there.

‘The general knowledge of time on the island depends, curiously enough, on the direction of the wind. Nearly all the cottages are built, like this one, with two doors opposite each other, the more sheltered of which lies open all day to give light to the interior. If the wind is northerly the south door is opened, and the shadow of the door-post moving across the kitchen floor indicates the hour; as soon, however, as the wind changes to the south the other door is opened, and the people, who never think of putting up a primitive dial, are at a loss.
This system of doorways has another curious result. It usually happens that all the doors on one side of the village pathway are lying open with women sitting about on the thresholds, while on the other side the doors are shut and there is no sign of life. The moment the wind changes everything is reversed, and sometimes when I come back to the village after an hour’s walk there seems to have been a general flight from one side of the way to the other.’

And if anybody is ringing or raying one of Synge dramas, I’m in. Will read the introduction by Tim Robinson before releasing the book again.

Journal Entry 24 by Olifant from Porthmadog, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 02, 2004
I liked the introduction too, except for the first few pages (loads of dates). Tim Robinson writes about the person Synge and his plays. It would have been nice if Tim Robinson had printed some of the pictures Synge took in Aran.

I have visited Inishturk, an island further north and Clare Island. At Inishturk (Isle of the Boar) there was a regatta race. Men in the so called ‘curachs’ racing each other. On Clare Island I saw a fisherman using a currach. 'Old' boots still used in the 21st century.

Book is off to Jonkheer tomorrow.

Journal Entry 25 by Jonkheer from Alkmaar, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, November 09, 2004
Het blijft geweldig om thuis te komen en een boek bij de post te vinden. Olifant reuze bedankt!!! Lijkt me een heel interresant boekje en ga het met plezier lezen.

Journal Entry 26 by wingiiwiwing from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, June 26, 2005
Another Ireland book. :) I love Ireland. I forgot, offcourse I participated in this ray, so I was suprised to find it in the pile 'for iiwi' today. Under normal circumstances I would have visited the Aran islands this summer. As for now, this book will have to do.

Journal Entry 27 by wingiiwiwing from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, August 18, 2005
I'm a bit drowning in ringbooks, and this one is in my possession for almost two months. So I will send it to the next one on the list. Maybe, at the end of the ray, when someone remembers me about this book, I wil participate again.

Muggenlip, it's on his way to you.

Journal Entry 28 by Muggenlip from Tilburg, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Dit ringboek heb ik een tijdje geleden al ontvangen, maar nog steeds niet geregistreerd (schande!).
Hierbij. Ik ga het zsm lezen.