Vince and Joy

by Lisa Jewell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by minx2012 on 6/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by minx2012 on Friday, June 16, 2006
The back blurb:
"Vince and Joy are both looking for something.
In their teens, in family holidays and bathroom mirrors.
In their twenties, in messy London flats and messy London relationships.
In their thirties, in marriages that appear stable - and feel anything but.
Seventeen years ago Vince and Joy met, parted and never said goodbye. And soon they're going to have to ask themselves: could it be they actually found what they were looking for back in the mid-eighties, in a holiday park by the sea?"

A marvellous book from the author I previously thought was the weakest of the chick-lit power trio. But this far outshines the latest books from Marian Keyes and Jane Green, and it's a welcome return to form after A Friend of the Family. A lovely, warm, frothy, well-written book, with the added bonus for me that large chunks of it are set in some of my favourite parts of London.
The only flaw is the protrayal of Chris, Vince's step-dad. It's like it's been written by someone who's never actually met a northerner, but is keen to prove they know we can be intelligent even though we're plain-speaking cloth-cap-wearing ferret-racing types who just can't help swearing. For that I docked a whole point off my rating.

Journal Entry 2 by minx2012 on Friday, July 28, 2006
I'm sending this as partt of a belated birthday present to someone who lives in an ideal location for the future release of such a perfect summer holiday read.
Enjoy, dear Vespa!

Journal Entry 3 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, August 04, 2006
oooo I like Birthdays that last for a whole month :-) I'm looking forward to reading this

Journal Entry 4 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, August 14, 2006
Remember the one that got away? Remember thinking what might happen if you were to see them again? This book totally explores this theory in a poigniant, and at times, annoyingly realistic way, that makes you keep turning those pages.
I'm now going to continue the RABCK by passing this to someone who has it on their wish list

Journal Entry 5 by jedsmom from Newport, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, August 18, 2006
oooh oooh thank you! What a lovely surprise!