Just Ella

by Margaret Peterson Haddix | Children's Books |
Registered by Xeyra of Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on 6/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Friday, June 16, 2006
Amazon.com:
In Just Ella, Margaret Peterson Haddix puts a spin on the traditional tale of the glass slippers. In her version, Ella (sans "Cinder") finds her own way to the ball (there was no fairy godmother, despite the rumors) and wins the heart of the prince. But now she is finding that life at the palace as Prince Charming's betrothed is not as great as she thought it was going to be. In fact, it's downright boring for a self-reliant and active girl to do needlework all day or listen to instructions on court etiquette from the strict and cold Madame Bisset.

Worst of all, Ella is beginning to suspect that Charming's beautiful blue eyes and golden hair are attached to a head with nothing in it. Her young tutor Jed, however, talks with her about serious things that really matter. Ella finally gets up the courage to announce to Charming that she doesn't want to go through with the wedding, but when she finds herself locked in the dungeon she realizes it's not that easy to walk away from a politically arranged marriage. In the end, as in all good fairy tales, our heroine and hero do manage to live happily ever after--but with a twist.

Journal Entry 2 by Xeyra from Seixal, Setúbal Portugal on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Loved this. Such an original and more 'modern' take of Cinderella, who didn't have much of an happy ending than the tale implies nor. In fact, the whole tale seems not to be as it is told in this wonderful little story about Ella after the promise of a happily ever after... which isn't quite so happy nor so eternal.

Mailed to KarinAlyssa, at long last, on September 22.

Journal Entry 3 by KarinAlyssa on Tuesday, October 24, 2006
It was received a while ago at my parents' house by my little sister who has now kept it in her secretive place, so I'll have to hunt the book down next time I go home. Thank you so much Xeyra for sharing !!!