The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus

by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1841957046 Global Overview for this book
Registered by sciencegeekgirl of East Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/13/2006
Journal Entry 1 by sciencegeekgirl from East Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Despite seeing many of her books at the library, in bookshops etc., I had never read Margaret Atwood before this book. I was pleasantly surprised. I remember seeing her books when I worked for WHSmiths as a teenager and thinking that they looked really dull. Don't get me wrong, I loved reading as a teenager and was well into fairly heavy going stuff but Atwood's books just looked so middle aged. I couldn't bring myself to read any of them. This book was therefore a revelation - from its sexily shiny cover to its witty content. I've always loved mythology so this retelling of the story of Odysseus from the perspective of Penelope was always going to be my kind of thing. An enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 2 by sciencegeekgirl from East Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 20, 2007
Traded with geetheflea thanks to Facebook. Sent via our beloved Royal Mail...

Journal Entry 3 by geetheflea from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Hooray got book! Thanks so much sciencegeekgirl and hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by geetheflea from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Enjoyed this - especially as I have already read the Odyssey. Will send it on to next person soon. Thanks sciencegeekgirl!

Journal Entry 5 by geetheflea from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 05, 2007
A bookray!

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and life gets in the way sometimes!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it.
* The person at the end of the ray gets to decide what to do with the book.

Participants:
10) Elsita (EUR)
11) mikopikotrain (USA)
12) Jengif (USA)
13) bflybabe (USA)
14) laevina (USA)<-------------------- here!
15) Maurean (USA)
16) anthromom (USA)
17) Hawkette (AUS)
18) Honeybee101 (AUS)
19) Grorser (CAN)
20) silvia-pco (EUR)
21) snufkin81 (SOUTH AFRICA)

Journal Entry 6 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, September 06, 2007
Sincerest apologies for keeping this book for so long - ill health and school holidays have just eaten up the weeks :-(
I really enjoyed this book - like sciencegeekgirl, I have always loved mythology, so it was a real treat to read a new version of an old story.
I have pm'd the next player and I hope the book will be winging its way to her soon

Journal Entry 7 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 14, 2007
This is such a pretty cover! Ooo shiny. :) I'll be reading it as soon as I can, I have a few other books that I need to get out of the way first, but don't worry, I read fast.

Thanks very much!

24th September 2007
I enjoyed this book as a light read, though I felt that it was mostly something special because of the parallels between the two perspectives. Woo, posting on to the next person ASAP! Mostly read on the trains to and from Coventry.

30th September 2007
Sent on Saturday, which I think was yesterday, second class. :) Thanks again!

Journal Entry 8 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, October 05, 2007
Thank you. I'll read this as soon as I finish my current book.

Journal Entry 9 by Jojowasaman from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Friday, October 26, 2007
Book received yesterday, thanks Martinburo, and finished this morning. I found The Penelopiad a very enjoyable light read. I liked that The Odyssey had been used to retell Penelope's story but from her own viewpoint - I'm not sure if that was MA's idea or Jamie Byng of Canongate publishers... but now I'd like to read one of the other 'Myth' books listed at the back ....Jeanette Winterson's, Weight.

Thanks for starting the ray.

Journal Entry 10 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Arrived this morning, am looking forwards to reading this next.

Thanks Jojowasaman for sending it on & geetheflea for the bookray!

Journal Entry 11 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2007
I really enjoyed this take on the story of Odysseus' missing years.
I particularly liked the passage on p83, where Penelope gives more likely explanations for the stories she is hearing of her husband's exploits.

I have Fiellu's address & will be sending this on in the next couple of days.

Thanks Jojowasaman for sending this on & geetheflea for organising the ray.

Journal Entry 12 by Fiellu from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, November 21, 2007
This book arrived today in the post. Have one other book to finish before this but should get my hand on this one soon. Looking forward to it as I am sort of Atwood fan.

Journal Entry 13 by Fiellu from Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
The book was not like the other Atwood books I've read and partly I was a bit disapointed because of that. I was hoping for more indepth writing and I was unable to get into the head of the main character Penelope. Twenty years in less than two hundered pages is a challenge... I think I would have gotten more out of this if had been more familiar with Odysseus.

Will send forwards as soon as I get the address of the next person in line. Edit: Sent 20th of Dec. 2007

Journal Entry 14 by annadvarna on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
I just received it as part of a book ring. Thanks Fiellu. I'll start reading it today. It couldn't have arrived at a more appropriate time. Happy New Year everybody!

Journal Entry 15 by annadvarna on Saturday, January 05, 2008
I loved this book. You can read a more extended review here:

Journal Entry 16 by Frangipani04 on Wednesday, January 16, 2008
It's with me now! I'll read it very soon! Thanks for sending it annadvarna!

Journal Entry 17 by Frangipani04 on Saturday, February 02, 2008
Margaret Atwood is one of my favourite authors and this book strenghened that. Not only it was a great way to learn a lot about Greek mithology and the Odyssey (which I never read - shame), but it was extremely well written. The critical eye with which Atwood sees some things in life is all over the book.

Thanks a lot for sharing it geetheflea! It will travel soon!

Journal Entry 18 by Frangipani04 on Friday, March 21, 2008
Sent yesterday to elpis. Sorry for this delay in sending the book!

Journal Entry 19 by elpis from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Friday, March 28, 2008
arrived!let's see....what's it about!
thanks frangipani and geetheflea

Journal Entry 20 by elpis from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Saturday, April 12, 2008
finished. i liked it and read some details that i didn't rememeber from those days they taught us odyssey at school, such as the point that odysseus tries to avoid the journey to troy.but i think that the author could get more from the myth and not just 200 pgs.

Journal Entry 21 by elpis at by post in Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Saturday, April 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/14/2008 UTC) at by post in Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece

Journal Entry 22 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Monday, May 05, 2008
It's with me, now!
Thanks for sending it, elpis!

I've just started reading :)

Journal Entry 23 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Saturday, May 10, 2008
Loved this little book!
The story of Penelope and her "Odyssey" by her own point of view.
Atwood is really a great writter.

Thanks for sharing this book, geetheflea!
I will PM the next reader (mikopikotrain) and send the book asap!

Journal Entry 24 by mikopikotrain from Bellaire, Texas USA on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Book in hand-it made its way safely across the Atlantic! I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

Journal Entry 25 by mikopikotrain from Bellaire, Texas USA on Monday, June 23, 2008
I enjoy reading reinterpretations of classic stories, so I really enjoyed this one. Atwood's characterization of Penelope is wonderful- I appreciated that she created an independent woman whose intellect was valued and central to her success. I also enjoyed how Penelope, from her place in Hades, was able to share her observations and thoughts about the modern world.
I'll be mailing this to the next reader soon!
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 26 by Jengif from Greenville, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, July 01, 2008
The Penelopiad has arrived safely in Virginia!

Journal Entry 27 by Jengif from Greenville, North Carolina USA on Friday, July 04, 2008
I agree that The Penelopiad was an enjoyable light read. I'm glad that Atwood has given Penelope her moment in the sun. Although, she just wasn't that interesting as a character. Sitting around a waiting for 20 years – yeah right! Anyway, I read the Odyssey back in high school and certain parts of that poem have certainly stuck in my head: The hanging of the maids and Melanthius's rather gruesome death. So, I'm glad of the Homer refresher!

Journal Entry 28 by Jengif from Greenville, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Mailed to Laevina in New York. Bflybabe asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 29 by laevina from Denver, Colorado USA on Monday, August 25, 2008
Can't wait to read it! She's a favorite author of mine. Thank you for sending it to me ~ I'm finally unpacked from the move.