Hide and Seek. An Inspector Rebus Novel.

by Iaian Rankin | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 6/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2006
I picked this book up at the 4 for 3 sale at Chapters. It's the white cover version (is this the Canadian version? I'm not sure). It's #2 in the Inspector Rebus series.

From Amazon:
At night the summer sky stays light over Edinburgh. But in a shadowy, crumbling housing development, a junkie lies dead of an overdose, his bruised body surrounded by signs of Satanic worship. John Rebus could call the death and accident--but won't. Instead, he tracks down a violent-tempered young woman who knew the dead boy and heard him cry out his terrifyng last words: "Hide! Hide!" Now, with the help of a bright, conflicted young detective, Rebus is following the girl through a brutal world of bad deals, bad dope and bad company. From a beautiful city's darkest side to the private sanctums of the upper crust, Rebus is seeking the perfect hiding place for a killer.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 22, 2007
In the second Rebus novel by Rankin, Rebus finds himself in yet another drug-laced, death-inducing situation. When the body of a young man shows up in what looks like it was an overdose, Rebus has to question the way the body was positioned and the writing on the walls. Slowly piecing together the mystery, Rebus makes friends with a nude model and gains a new partner who ironically enough is named Holmes. The streets lead Rebus to upper class as he searches his way through the clues to find out what exactly happened to this look alike suicide.
At the beginning of the novel, Rankin writes a note about his thought process for this book and how after this book you can notice that Rebus changes a bit. In fact, I noticed quite a bit of change between the Rebus of this novel and of the first one (Knots and Crosses). Rebus seems a bit less withdrawn in this novel. Although I was a bit upset that him and Gill broke up without much of an explanation. It was almost like Rankin didn't feel like writing about Gill anymore so he just cut her out.
I felt this book was really about Rebus and his interactions with the other characters. I'm happy he's got a partner now, albeit somewhat unofficial. Hopefully we see him in a couple more books! Out of the first two books, this one is probably the better!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 23, 2007
This book is with me now

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Hide & Seek is the sequel to Knots & Crosses and it certainly delivers. The plot is sinister and hard hitting and shows the underbelly of Edinburgh. Rebus disects the crime,casting off red herrings until the threads have finally come together. I am sad to see Gill no longer a romantic interest. Rebus now has a little gentler demeanor. I feel like the length of time Rankin took to write the second book in this series somehow changed Rebus's character. Rebus though still cares about the 'little guy' and this is what makes this book even better

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 17, 2007
Sent off earlier this week to MsJoanna who plucked it from the VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2007
This has arrived and is going onto Mt. TBR. I owe Knots and Crosses to someone already, so I'll read that one soon, then follow up with this one.

Journal Entry 7 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, August 25, 2009
An enjoyable mystery and a good character-builder for John Rebus, the detective star of this series. The author's forward in this edition was also quite interesting. He reflected, more than a decade and a dozen books later, on the creation of the character and the series. I look forward to continuing the Rebus novels, which, thanks to HoserLauren, I've been slowly collecting.

Journal Entry 8 by msjoanna at Hand Delivered, My Mother -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/29/2009 UTC) at Hand Delivered, My Mother -- Controlled Releases

My mother took this one when she was visiting. She doesn't tend to make JEs, but she usually does pass on her books one way or another.