Nine Tomorrows

by Isaac Asimov | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by tranq1 of Tampa, Florida USA on 6/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Saturday, June 10, 2006
A collection of 9 short stories about the future. Writen in the mid 50's.

Journal Entry 2 by tranq1 at bookrelay in bookrelay, bookrelay member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mailed to jennymidget for the "Sci-Fi and Fantasy II" relay on bookrelay.

Journal Entry 3 by tranq1 at bookrelay in bookrelay, bookrelay member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 19, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (11/18/2006 UTC) at bookrelay in bookrelay, bookrelay member -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to jennymidget for the "Sci-Fi and Fantasy II" relay on bookrelay.

Journal Entry 4 by jennymidget from Bellbowrie, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Thanks tranq1, good to get this one!

Journal Entry 5 by jennymidget from Bellbowrie, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 10, 2007
9 great little glimpses into the future - ranging from the entertaining to the downright chilling. My personal favourite is a Hercule-Poirot style mystery (set in space of course) complete with parlour scene in a very clever twist on the 50's whodunnits and detective novels.

Sending on to another booklover.

Journal Entry 6 by booklovermom from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, March 29, 2007
I got this book in the mail from a trade on The Cheshire Kat. Now that I have it I realize that I think I have read it before! Oh well, I'm sure I liked it the first time, so I don't mind reading it again.

Journal Entry 7 by booklovermom from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 09, 2007
Sending this on its way as a birthday book. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 8 by booklovermom at -- Controlled Release in Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 09, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (9/9/2007 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Mailing to Anna.

Journal Entry 9 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 23, 2007
Thanks for the sfbooks.com birthday book!

Journal Entry 10 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Two nights ago I really wanted to read a book before bed, but it was late, and I knew that I would end up reading until all hours of the morning and regret it the next day. So, I scoured the mass market Mt. TBR and found a thin book, which also happened to be a collection of short stories. Yay!

Last night I finished reading this book, and as can be expected, it was an engaging read, with each short story providing a different insight into how (in some cases, minor and insignificant) actions and events of now might evolve into the future. Some of the characters in the stories were charged with solving mysteries, but mostly it was left to the reader to figure out what was going on and how humanity got to that point.

The book is a product of its time. The copyright is 1959, and the stories themselves were originally published in magazines in that decade. Understandably, the Cold War and nuclear research play roles in several of the stories. Asimov also explores his (apparent) favorite social science theme of societies where the actions of individuals or the whole can be predicted through mathematical theory.

If you are looking for some bite-sized Asimov, I recommend picking up a copy of this book, if you can find one.