The Song of Kahunsha

by Anosh Irani | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Lotusflower77 of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 6/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Lotusflower77 from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 10, 2006
One of the best books by a Canadian of Indian descent to come out this year (2006) in my opinion.

Journal Entry 2 by Hollydolly on Tuesday, July 04, 2006
Just today received this book from my friend Lotusflower 77 in Toronto,I really look forward to reading this. Will journal when I have.

Journal Entry 3 by Hollydolly on Monday, October 23, 2006
So sorry, forgot to journal this amazing book.
I read it almost in one sitting. It is a story of a little boy, who has spent his life inside a orphanage, rarely going outside. To him, he he has a fantasy of Bombay that he calls"Kahunsha" which means "The city of no sadness" He decides to run away to search for his father. He has no possesions to take with him, except for a bit of bloodstained cloth that was left with him as a baby. It is a story of his tough life on the streets, and his constant struggle for survival.
It is a wonderful moving story, you can almost hear and smell the streets which become his home. A story which really conveys to the reader just how frail childhood innocence can really be. The story stayed with me long after I had closed the book.

Thank you again Anjali for this beautiful gift. It will be staying with me as I know I will want to re-read it.