The War Poems (Faber Pocket Poetry S.)

by Siegfried Sassoon | Poetry |
ISBN: 0571202659 Global Overview for this book
Registered by rainbow1054 on 6/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by rainbow1054 on Saturday, June 10, 2006
Some good first world war poems in this volume.

Released 13 yrs ago (6/10/2006 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Released at regular Ipswich BC meet up.

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, June 11, 2006
Hi 'Rainbow' - it was good to meet you again at Caffe Nero, and thanks for this; I used to be a big fan (if that's the right word?) of WW1, especially the poetry & literature from the period. I'll enjoy re-acquainting myself with Sassoon

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 03, 2008
(1/09) After a while these poems stop being discrete entities, but merge into a background noise of the war, with a cultural identity and a timeless language of its own, ‘up the line’, duckboards & firesteps, crump, ‘Blighty wound’…not that one gets immune to the gore and the absolute pitiful waste of the whole thing. I enjoyed this especially alongside an extract of Sassoon in Craiglockhart hospital (Regeneration), references to dates and Doctor Rivers put this chronological collection into perspective. Thank you for sharing; now ready to pass on.

Ps. Now reading, Ben Elton’s ‘The First Casualty’ – it’s almost like I planned this reading list!

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan at Greyhound public house in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 06, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/7/2008 UTC) at Greyhound public house in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking along to our little extra lunchtime meet-up, and to visit the new Ipswich OBCZ :)

Journal Entry 6 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, November 22, 2009
This seems to have gone it's travels somewhere from The Greyhound...I hope it's having fun out there. Please write a journal entry here to tell everyone where, what, who, why, and why-not!