STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

by Robert A Heinlein | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 6/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, June 9, 2006
From Amazon.com: Stranger in a Strange Land, winner of the 1962 Hugo Award, is the story of Valentine Michael Smith, born during, and the only survivor of, the first manned mission to Mars. Michael is raised by Martians, and he arrives on Earth as a true innocent: he has never seen a woman and has no knowledge of Earth's cultures or religions. But he brings turmoil with him, as he is the legal heir to an enormous financial empire, not to mention de facto owner of the planet Mars. With the irascible popular author Jubal Harshaw to protect him, Michael explores human morality and the meanings of love. He founds his own church, preaching free love and disseminating the psychic talents taught him by the Martians. Ultimately, he confronts the fate reserved for all messiahs. The impact of Stranger in a Strange Land was considerable, leading many children of the 60's to set up households based on Michael's water-brother nests.

I read this in the 70s and plan on rereading soon. It was one of the best sci-fi novels I read at that time. Interested how this will hold up.

I have an extra paperback copy that I will send out as a bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, June 9, 2006
Bookray

This book is traveling again! 2/28/08

Starting a bookray for this book. Please PM me if interested. Bookray will remain open until last person reads the book.

Participants so far:

1. wubbaducky from UK (Europe preferred)
2. 4orty7even from UK (UK only)
3. pam99 from UK (International)
4. Escalla from Portugal (International)
5. decay from France (International)
6. Nitku from Finland (International)<----Book is traveling here!
7. QuantumAyla from UK (International)
8. rebeccaljames from USA (USA only)

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* END OF THE RAY, The last person on the ray could try and continue the ray or just give/mail the book to someone else who might like to read it, perhaps a RABCK - look at cliff1976.com wish list web site, or release it into the wild.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

Book seems to be lost in transit to Nitku who does not respond to PMs.

Released 15 yrs ago (6/19/2006 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

On its way to the UK!

Journal Entry 4 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, July 28, 2006
Hurrah! After a little concern on both sides, Stranger in a Strange Land arrived this morning! I'm VERY glad it didn't get lost en route! I'm looking forward to reading this one - although, as usual, bookring books never arrive by alone :)

Journal Entry 5 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, August 12, 2006
I enjoyed this book a lot. It shows its age in certain places but overall, it's a simply lovely read. The ending was inevitable but I liked it anyway and I liked how Mike evolved over the book and grew from being the student in all things to the teacher of his Truth. Thanks for sharing this book, Perryfran! It's a great read. I have 4orty7even's address already so will be posting out shortly!

Journal Entry 6 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Sent to 4orty7even today - enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by 4orty7even from Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006
Received today - many thanks. This'll be next on my TBR list.

Journal Entry 8 by 4orty7even from Kingston upon Thames, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 5, 2006
Just a quick update. I'm about half way through now. It's taking me longer than usual, probably because I'm not really keen on the writing style, which has curbed my enthusiasm a bit. I'm finding I have to "force" myself to carry on, but I'll get there eventually ;o)

Sep 23rd : Just finished it this morning. Did find it slow going to begin with, especially the chapters dealing with Mike's inheritance, but once that was out of the way the story built up nicely and I thouroughly enjoyed the second half of the book.

Will get it off to pam99 in the next few days.

Journal Entry 9 by 4orty7even at on Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (10/17/2006 UTC) at

Sent in the post to pam99 today.

Journal Entry 10 by pam99 from Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 25, 2006
This arrived a couple of days ago, apologies for the delay in journalling but things have been hectic. I'll finish the book I'm on and hopefully get on to this one by the weekend, looks interesting.

Journal Entry 11 by pam99 from Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Hmmm... gave this my best shot but just not getting into it and don't really have time just now to persevere, so I'll pm Escalla for an address. It looked interesting but science fiction's not really my thing, perhaps I will try it again in the future.

Journal Entry 12 by pam99 from Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 27, 2006
Sorry for the delay, the book will be in the post this afternoon.

Journal Entry 13 by Escalla from Lisboa - Parque das Nações, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, December 13, 2006
With me now (got it monday).
Already reading it.
Thank you PerryFran.

Journal Entry 14 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, June 2, 2007
Was in the mailbox 1 week ago... I'll read it ASAP.

Thanks Escalla & Perryfran.

Journal Entry 15 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Finished it two days ago.

Until now, I thought the best SF book ever written was Dune. Ok, I'm changing my mind, this book may be the greatest SF novel of all times.

PMing Nitku to go on with the ring.

Journal Entry 16 by lostbookisland on Sunday, February 3, 2008
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.

Journal Entry 17 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Book has been sent 1 week ago to Nitku in Finland. Apologies for this stalling period, chances are I won't be able to be a very active BXer as I was 2-3 years back.