The Wee Free Men

by Terry Pratchett | Humor |
Registered by tiggerboing of Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on 6/8/2006
Journal Entry 1 by tiggerboing from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 08, 2006
From the Back Cover
There's trouble on the Aching farm - a monster in the river, a headless horseman in the driveway and nightmares spreading down from the hills. And now Tiffany Aching's little brother has been stolen by the Queen of the Fairies (although Tiffany doesn't think this is entirely a bad thing).

Tiffany's got to get him back. To help her, she has a weapon (a frying pan), her granny's magic book (well, Diseases of the Sheep, actually) and -

'Crivens! Whut aboot us, ye daftie!'

- oh, yes. She's also got the Nac Mac Feegle, the Wee Free Men, the fightin', thievin', tiny blue-skinned pictsies who were thrown out of Fairyland for being Drunk and Disorderly . . .

A wise, witty and wonderfully inventive adventure set in the Discworld(c).

Passed on to me by a friend to share with bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 2 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Picked up from tiggerboing to take to the Unconvention.

Journal Entry 3 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, July 02, 2006
Thank you! I haven't read this one yet, nor has my daughter, and we both love Pratchett's books.

A hardback, but I'll fit it into my bag for the big trip bhome.

Journal Entry 4 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Oooh, look at that, willya? My wings have magically been replenished!

I enjoyed this book (and so did my daughter). I actually met Terry Pratchet once. He was sitting on a landing at Bruce TAFE, reading a Tom Clancy technothriller.

This book. A nice little addition to the awesome Discworld opus. Nothing we haven't seen before, but it was good to see the character and society of the pictsies developed.

I like the way that witch magic isn't always magic, just clear thinking. And the other sort doesn't require intelligence "otherwise wizards wouldn't be able to do it."

I'll pass this on at our next booking.

Journal Entry 5 by Calissa from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
How am I possibly meant to resist picking up books at the Canberra Meetup when there's a Terry Pratchett I haven't read? No will-power at all, I tell you!

This will probably be read by my dad before I get to it. No doubt the whole house will hear him constantly chuckling to himself as he reads.

Journal Entry 6 by Calissa from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, September 03, 2006
This has passed through the hands of both my dad and a workmate of his. Would it kill them to make a journal entry?

Anyway, I polished this treasure off in a day. It made a delightful change from all the uni reading. As always, Terry Pratchett is at his witty best. I liked the subtle way he dealt with important issues for young people, like dealing with the death of someone close to you. He does it in such a sensitive, funny way that you hardly even notice.

The Nac Mac Feegle have certainly headbutted a place for themselves in my heart.

Journal Entry 7 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, September 04, 2006
Another one from the Wishlist - thanks for holding on to this for me calissa :)

Journal Entry 8 by Melanie2474 at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, November 04, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (11/4/2019 UTC) at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Via Facebook