Call After Midnight (MIRA S.)

by Tess Gerritsen | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by AliceF of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on 6/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, June 09, 2006
BOOK RING: This ring is currently open. Members are as follows (if you wish to join, please PM me and I will add you!):
  • katie1980
  • en route to Rillaith since January/February 2007
  • dixxy-D
  • brunton11

How it works:
  • If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
  • We will kick off once we have 5 members.
  • You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address!
  • It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as speedily as you can, other people are dying to read it too.
  • Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
  • If you're the last person on the list (i.e. we run out of members) the book comes back to me until there are more interested parties...

Amazon Synopsis:
Newlywed Sarah Fontaine must join forces with special agent Nick O'Hara to find her husband Geoffrey, who is presumed dead, and as they journey to Europe to discover the truth, they become the pawns in a deadly game of espionage.

Journal Entry 2 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 02, 2006
Given to me at the UnConvention by AliceF to start off the ring. It's a brand spanking new book, and I'm almost afraid to open it in case I am the first one to crease the spine! *lol* Ah well, it can't be helped, I suppose. I'll read this after I've finished the one or two rings I have to send on first.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 3 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
I'm sure I've read this book before! But I couldn't remember how it ended, so it was fine really! *lol* It's not one of her best books, but it's quite suspenseful and the story generally moves along at a good pace so it's enjoyable enough. (I'm currently listening to "Body Double" on CD in the car, and that's a really good book!) I can't really fault the book, as such, as it's all believable enough and the story is good, as I said, but there's not that 'spark' for me that said I would really enjoy it.
This sounds a little negative, which I don't mean it to - it's a good book, honest! I'm not really damning it with faint praise! (Even if that is how I seem to have managed to word my JE!)

Thanks for sharing, and I will post this book on when I have an address to send it to. Luckily, it only took me a couple of days to read once I picked it up!

Journal Entry 4 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Received in the post yesterday from Katie1980. I've got a couple of other rings ahead of this but looking forward to reading this as I'm a Tess Gerritsen fan now.

Journal Entry 5 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 10, 2006
I agree with Katie1980 that this is not one of her best books, but as a Tess Gerritsen fan I still enjoyed it. Will send this off to Beekeeper as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 6 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Received safely today. Will read it very soon.

Journal Entry 7 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, November 02, 2006
Like the other journallers I thought Gerritsen's other books were better. However after a slow start I really got into it but thought the romance side of it a bit 'icky'. I think Gerritsen would be best sticking to police procedure and medical thrillers rather than espionage.

Pming WelshHelen.

Released 13 yrs ago (11/6/2006 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser in Bookring, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to WelshHelen.

Journal Entry 9 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 10, 2006
Arrived safely a couple of days ago. Thanks, beekeeper40 and sorry for the late JE. I do have a few ring books ahead of this one but should get to it pretty soon.

Journal Entry 10 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2006
Having enjoyed Tess Gerritsen's other books I was really looking forward to this but was sadly disappointed. For a long time, I thought that it was based in the current time but I got completely thrown out of the story when an "East German checkpoint" was mentioned and then later on, the Berlin Wall. Eh?

It was a very old-fashioned book - fun in its own way but nothing new. There were cliched characters, cliched situations, a cliched ending. What a disappointment :-( Also, if I'd bought this book I'd have been very irritated that the actually story was only 250 pages - the book was padded out with over 70 pages of excerpts of her next two books and ads for others!

Thank you for sharing, AliceF. I have BigBoss' address and will post to him in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 11 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, December 01, 2006
Posted to BigBoss today.

Journal Entry 12 by BigBoss from Rochester, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, December 04, 2006
Received today. Slightly nervous about everyone's review. I will read it straight away and send on to
chelseagirl.

Journal Entry 13 by BigBoss from Rochester, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, December 10, 2006
Just finished my 5th read by Tess, and whilst I can see it is not as polished as some of her others I was equally pleased. It reminded me of The Broker by John Grisham.
Once I picked it up it was hard to put down so I just read it through, yet another good read by Tess!

I will now forward it on to chelseagirl.

On its way to chelseagirl.

Journal Entry 15 by chelseagirl from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 30, 2006
Sorry I haven't journalled to say this arrived safely - don't know what happened there! many thanks, and for ther Transitas radio - though i can't work out how to get the batteries in!

Thanks again :0)

Journal Entry 16 by chelseagirl from Faringdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 10, 2007
I got into this really quickly and rea dtwo thirds of it in almost one go, but then found the excitement tailed off a little towards the end.

An enjoyable enough romp, though as others have said Gerritsen should stick to the murder books as the Jane Rizzoli novels are far better than the two espionage ones I've read!

Thanks for sharing, and I'll get this off to Rillaith asap.

Journal Entry 17 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, April 16, 2007
PM'd chelseagirl to confirm where this book is at...

Journal Entry 18 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Received a message yesterday from chelseagirl to say the book was definitely posted on to Rillaith some weeks ago...