The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea

by Mark Haddon | Poetry |
Registered by wingPanzeranziwing of Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on 6/5/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingPanzeranziwing from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, June 05, 2006
"Full title: 'The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea'. In Mark Haddon's first book of poetry, his immense talent for storytelling and his unbridled imagination combine to produce a collection that is at once bold, heartwarming, bittersweet and immensely accessible.

Combines bittersweet love-lyrics, lucid and bold versions of Horace, comic set-pieces, lullabies, wry postmodern shenanigans (including a note from the official board of censors on "18" certificate poetry), and an entire John Buchan novel condensed to five pages."

I thought this was a novel - have recently read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and loved it and thought this was another novel. Disappointed.....

Now that I've read the poems I'm glad I did buy the book. Some of the poems were really funny, like "This Poem is Certificate 18".

Journal Entry 2 by wingPanzeranziwing from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Bookring:

Deepswamp Sweden
sota48 Norway
Haugtussa Norway (Europe)
MieLH Denmark (Europe)
boirina Portugal (Europe)
lilifin UK/Germany from October (Europe)
Random-Poet UK
orange-platypus UK (int)
babelfisk Sweden

Alvhyttan
...and back to me! >>>The book is back home!

Journal Entry 3 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Monday, July 16, 2007
Arrived safe, start reading at once!
Trees
...
"Your kindness to animals, your skill at the clarinet,
these are accidental things.
We lost this game a long way back.
Look at you. You´re reading poetry.
Outside the spring air is thick
with the seeds of their children."

Journal Entry 4 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, July 19, 2007
"Miaow", was of course my favorite!
Thank you for letting me discover Mark Haddons poems!

Journal Entry 5 by wingsota48wing from Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Monday, July 23, 2007
Arrived in my mail box this morning! Very exciting.... my first bookring ever.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsota48wing from Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 25, 2007
There is something about reading poetry that makes you want to put the book away for a while and then later read some of the poems again when you have had time to think about them. As this is a bookring book I will not be able to do that so I shall probably have to get a copy for myself. If I were to pick one poem it would be "The Short Fuse".

I will post the book to Haugtussa tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, August 13, 2007
The book arrived today. I'm looking forward to read Haddon's prose. I also hope to pick up a couple of poems that I can use in my English classes.

Journal Entry 8 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, August 31, 2007
I enjoyed reading Haddon's poems. I have to admit that although I enjoy reading poetry I do it far to seldom. I'd like to have more time to dvell over his writing.

I have taken the liberty to copy out some of the poems to use in my teaching; This Poem is Certificate 18, Miaow and Poets. I do hope my pupils will enjoy them!

I'll get the book sent to Denmark when I have MieLH's address.

Journal Entry 9 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Friday, September 14, 2007
The book is safe in Denmark :) I'll start reading ASAP - I'm terrible busy with my new job, but will make some time for this book soon.

Haugtussa sent some chocolate along with the book :) Yummy, that's the spirit :D Thank you!

Thank you for including me in the ring, Panzeranzi :) Your postcard is still in the book. What are the plastic coated things for, I wonder?

Journal Entry 10 by wingPanzeranziwing from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, September 15, 2007
Deepswamp wrote: "It will travel tomorrow, with a bookmark-puzzel. (I think it will be enough for a "piece" to everyone)" - I guess that is what you asked about, MieLH?

Journal Entry 11 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Friday, September 28, 2007
Hmm... I tend to drag myself through poetry. Convincing myself that a challenge is good and that I might - at some point - strike gold. Poetry-gold :) And sometimes I do. But not this time, I'm afraid. Like Haugtussa I like "Certificate 18" the most. Many of the others I honestly didn't understand. Possible one should buy the book and read the poems again and again?

About the bookmark-puzzle. I'm sorry - I should have read through the entries myself! Thanks for answering my question. I've taken a piece of the puzzle and will pass on the rest along with the book for future readers to enjoy :)

I've already received boirinas address, so the book will travel asap - hopefully already tomorrow :)

Update september 29, 2007: Book sent off today. I hope it will reach Portugal soon :)

Journal Entry 12 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, October 08, 2007
The book got here safely today.

Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 13 by boirina from Mallorca - Calvià, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
The book has left for lilifin today. Sorry for the delay.

My chosen lines? Here:

(from "Woof")

"I'm your best friend,
but the more I get to know of you,
the more I like myself."

Journal Entry 14 by lilifin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, January 10, 2008
thanks for sending! will be read soon!

Journal Entry 15 by lilifin from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, May 02, 2008
I tried it several times, but somehow I didn't grasp these poems...perhaps my English is not good enough...it's a pity, I love Haddon's novels...

Journal Entry 16 by lilifin at on Friday, May 02, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (5/2/2008 UTC) at

Will be send to random-poet tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by Random-Poet from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
received in the post today! Thanks!

I'll put this in my handbag and start reading it tomorrow morning on the bus to work...

Journal Entry 18 by Random-Poet from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 19, 2008
I love this book! The poems are so vivid and imaginative and so varied - from the surreal to the quietly insightful, from the funny to the moving. I've read the book twice and may read it again.

I've PMed orange platypus for her address and will send it on once I've had her reply. Thanks lilifin for sending me the book and Panzeranzi for setting up the ring!

Released 12 yrs ago (5/22/2008 UTC) at By post in Edinburgh, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

off to orange-platypus

Journal Entry 20 by orange-platypus from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, May 25, 2008
This arrived in the post the other day with another poetry pamphlet - many thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by orange-platypus from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 05, 2008
I couldn't really get into these poems - although some I enjoyed more than others. Perhaps I should try his novels though...

PMing babelfisk for an address.

Journal Entry 22 by babelfisk from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, August 04, 2008
I got this book during my vacation and has just started reading it.

Journal Entry 23 by babelfisk from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, August 18, 2008
I especially liked Miaow and the finishing lines: "You don't play with me. I play with you." I'm sending it on to Alvhyttan

Journal Entry 24 by Alvhyttan from Nora, Västmanland Sweden on Monday, September 08, 2008
Den här boken kom någon gång i förra veckan, tack babelfisk (jo portot räckte).
Ska bli spännande att läsa!

Journal Entry 25 by wingPanzeranziwing at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, February 15, 2012
The book is back home!

Released 4 yrs ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention Oslo 2017 in St. Hanshaugen bydel, Oslo fylke Norway

On the book buffet