Outside the Dog Museum

by Jonathan Carroll | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingDeepswampwing of Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on 6/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2006
Skrattets rike fick mig intresserad...
The Sultan of Saru tries to hire Pritzer Prize winning architect Harry Radcliffe to design a dog museum, but though he takes the bribes like a brand new car, Harry declines. Recently divorced over his Colonel Sanders’ recipe and balancing two beautiful strong women, Fanny Neville and Claire Stansfield, at the same time he is a recovering mental breakdown patient struggling with what is reality under the guide of psychiatrist Venasque.

Reality strikes in the form of an earthquake devastating Harry’s Santa Barbara home. Venasque’s dog and the Sultan rescue Harry, who now feels obligated to both so agrees to the zillion dollar canine museum. In the Saru, Harry feels the magic is now in him, but soon finds himself in the middle of a Civil War in which his patron dies. Still Harry begins to understand the meaning of reality as magically altering when perceptions change while Harry also changes.

OUTSIDE THE DOG MUSEUM is a fantastic allegorical tale of a not so nice individual falling through the rabbit’s hole. The amusing story line contains a powerful message while making a case that perception is relative. Readers will wonder if Harry’s physical and mental transformations are magical or just the antihero going further over the edge following the insane shopping spree, the earthquake, and the war. Fans of metaphorical action tales will appreciate this fine satire by an author with the perfect surname even if Harry lacks Alice’s innocence.

Harriet Klausner

Journal Entry 2 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, October 31, 2006
A wonderful book, that makes you think about a lot of things in life.
Open your eyes and see what´s inside and outside!

Journal Entry 3 by wingDeepswampwing at by post in Another BookCrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (10/31/2006 UTC) at by post in Another BookCrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Here comes the first price! Thanks to ruzena who made me read the wounderful story!

Journal Entry 4 by wingruzenawing from Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Thanks a lot, Deepswamp! The museum dogs arrived and keep another doggy company. Will read ASAP!

Journal Entry 5 by wingruzenawing from Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 06, 2007
1992, Orb Paperback 2005, 267 p. <3cm, ~300g

I like the kind of speculative fantasy Carroll writes. In his stories things turn sharp to be something different from what you expected. Also, his books can be taken as "read and relax" magic, but Carroll is too witty and too mordant to tell just bedtime stories.
Here, too, you have a lot to think after having shut the book. The details are almost too many and varied. You can associate anything. E.g. The living relic animal in the ruins? The deer and the dog? The primates (= kädelliset)? Sure there is the solid core, Harry growing up.

The author is said to live in Vienna now, and I see he has acquainted himself with beer, inverted verbs and the European ceremony "Dachgleiche" (harjannostajaiset).

A big thank-you to Deepswamp! The book now travels to Jyväskylä together with Naurujen maa.

-ruzena

Journal Entry 6 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2007
This wonderful book came to delight us today! Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, April 15, 2007
Oh no! Ou nou! I.....didn't like this book.....or yes I did...partly.... I agree, I also like the way the author writes, I love his small notions of life and people. This story was also unique, which gave some additional stars to it. But somehow it was too intelligent for me, or maybe it was just because I couldn't really feel anything for Harry, I liked his dog far better than him, but this book really gave me hard time while reading it. Anyway, because the stories are always so unique, I still feel like reading some other books from the author.
I have to add that I'm facing quite a lot of stress at my work currently, and always when that happens my intellectual level at my free time decreases strongly, and I return to more light reading. So the other books I've been reading recently are mostly children's books or some light dog stories, so maybe if I'd read this book at some other less stressfull moment in my life, I'd probably liked it better.
Thank you anyway for this unique reading experience, I'll wait and see if ruzena is going to establish a bookring out of this book, so I'll send the book to the next reader.

Journal Entry 8 by wingruzenawing from Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, April 15, 2007
Bookring: [minun puolestani saatte muuttaa järjestystä, jos siihen on esim. kuriirisyitä]

Tintti (Jkl)
aava (Jkl)
Niora (Jsuu)
Ahava (Hki)
lunatum (Oulu)
chrisim (Tre)
...

max. 2 months per capita to read

Journal Entry 9 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, May 06, 2007
I got the book from katyan at our bc-meeting today.

Thanks to ruzena for organizing an interesting bookring again!

Journal Entry 10 by Tintti from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, May 16, 2007
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. Like katyan, I'm also having a stressfull time at work and I felt I was just too tired and unable to concentrate while reading this book. I might have enjoyed it more at some other time. There were good parts in the story, and I think it started really well, but the end part just got a bit too weird for my tired brain.

Another a little weird thing about the story was that Harry Radcliffe's character was very much like the main character in Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis. Every now and then I thought I was reading his book and not Carroll's. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Bret Easton Ellis was a fan of Jonathan Carrol or vice versa.

My favourite quote from Outside the Dog Museum:

"The dying have a quality that even a child senses. Not because they are already removed, but because even young hearts sense their inability to stay longer. Behind the looks of sickness or fear is also the look of the long-distance traveler, bags on the floor, eyes tired but nervous for any change that may come. They are the ones going on the twenty-hour flights, and although we don't envy their coming discomfort or time-zone skips, tomorrow they will be there - a place that both terrifies and thrills us. We peek at the ticket they hold, the inconceivably far destination written there, impossible yet monstrously alluring. What will it smell like there tomorrow? What is it like to sleep there?"

I'll give the book to aava tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by aava from Dals-Ed, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, May 21, 2007
Received the book on Thursday, but forgot to make the JE. Sorry!

I'm reading another Jonathan Carroll book (From the Teeth of Angels) at the moment and will start this after that.

Journal Entry 12 by aava from Dals-Ed, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, June 03, 2007
I have to agree with previous two readers that this wasn't an easy book to read. I finished with the "From the Teeth of Angels" by the same author week ago and read this one next. Carroll makes his characters really hard to like and Harry Radcliffe must be one of the hardest cases. And in this book even the story or the plot was quite thin. I know, I know there's the deeper level and allegories and all that stuff, but I was struggling to keep on reading. There wee some moments every now and then when I was thinking "Oh, yes, now we are going somewhere" and in the next instance... well, nothing.

I'm a bit confused about what I think of Jonathan Carroll or if he's a great author or not, but I think overall I want to read more of his books to decide that. But not just right now. Two books in a row is too heavy.

The book will go next to Niora. I hope to get a courier to bring this book for her. Iif that doen't work I will of course use the oldfashion method of mailing it for her.

Journal Entry 13 by wingNiorawing from Ranco, Lombardia Italy on Saturday, June 16, 2007
I received the book today in Tampere at the Finnish bookcrossers' summer meeting. Thanks! I received two other ring-or-ray books at the same time, but I guess I'll manage. :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingNiorawing from Ranco, Lombardia Italy on Saturday, June 23, 2007
What strange and unexpected sort of stories of speculative fiction Carroll writes... This was my second Carroll experience, The Wooden Sea having been the first, and I'm happy to see he has no particular tendency to repeat himself. He also easily engages my interest, even with setups that seem none too likely to be able to do that (such as a conceited architect "commuting" between two women), so that I just have to keep reading.

Will PM Ahava next.

Journal Entry 15 by wingNiorawing from Ranco, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Mailed to Ahava this morning!

Journal Entry 16 by Ahava from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
I got the book already last week but was too busy and tired (plus without internet access) to make a journal entry on it. I spent the last hour of my train trip back home reading the book but wasn't too enthusiasted. Is it just me, or why does it feel so hard to read non-academic texts in English? As if English was a common language, modern Latin, used in the uncanny parallel realities called universities but nowhere else...

Journal Entry 17 by Ahava from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Nope, this one didn't catch me at all. Perhaps it's too speculative fiction. Or then it's just me again. I'd vote for the second option. I need more down-to-earth reading and this certainly didn't come up to my expectations. Perhaps my expectations were too great, to quote a famous realistic writer.

Anyway, I'll post the book to lunatum in few days. Thank you, ruzena (it's you again!) for letting me know that Jonathan Carroll isn't my cup of tea. (Does watching the film "The Queen" twice effect my idioms this much?)

Journal Entry 18 by lunatum from Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Tuesday, October 09, 2007
This book arrived last week. I have four ring books to be read before this one.

Journal Entry 19 by lunatum from Savukoski, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, November 11, 2007
I don't know what to say about this book. I kind of liked this, but on the other hand I didn't. I guess I would have liked this more if I had read this in Finnish.

Next week Elina is coming to Oulu, so I'lle ask her to take this book to Tampere.

Journal Entry 20 by Elina from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 20, 2007
The book was traveling with me from Oulu to Tampere. I'll try to get it to Chrism as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 21 by chrisim from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, February 29, 2008
I got the book from yesterday's meeting. It felt like ages since I last was in BC meeting! But it's only four and half months. My baby girl keeps me busy. As she even sleeps at nights nowadays there's a slight possibility to read a book ring book within given time :)

Journal Entry 22 by chrisim from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, July 28, 2008
I liked the book although it was not an easy or a quick read. I propably missed something as I couldn't read it at once. And language was the other thing.

Sometimes flash-backs were weird - like the story of edible house. Harry's dreams and conversations with his guru or guru's different incarnations were interesting. The first entrance of the animals made me laugh aloud. They were symphathetic! It's true that books like this don't end when you stop reading - they intrigue and fascinate our minds long after.

Thank you ruzena for this book ring. I did not plan to keep the book that long, but I did :( I'm sorry. I'll send it back to you asap - pm me your address!

Journal Entry 23 by wingruzenawing from Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, August 08, 2008
The book has arrived and will stay by me for some time. Thank you, all of you!

Journal Entry 24 by wingruzenawing at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Monday, April 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland

Travelling for Piscina de Livros at the 1st Portuguese Convention.

Happy swimming!

Journal Entry 25 by PiscinaLivros on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Arrived.
It goes directly to the "Pool".
Thanks ruzena

Released 10 yrs ago (5/9/2009 UTC) at Piscina de Livros da I Convencao Nacional in Maceda, Aveiro Portugal

Mergulho na Piscina!

Journal Entry 27 by ElHurricane on Tuesday, May 04, 2010
I took it from de I Convention Pool and will send it to the II Convention Pool.