Astonishing Splashes Of Colour :

by Clare Morrall | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingKatisha50wing of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 6/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingnordiewing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, June 03, 2006
Registered/Caught at the registration party

Journal Entry 2 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, June 03, 2006
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 3 by wingKatisha50wing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 29, 2006
Reserved for AliceF at Uncon.

Journal Entry 4 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, July 03, 2006
Gratefully received from Katisha50 at the Unconvention.

Shortlisted for the Booker prize, 2003.

BBC Review

Clare Morrall takes her title from a description of Peter Pan's Neverland, and much of her novel contains the same dreamy, almost fantastical quality, with episodes coming in and out of focus, amid kaleidoscopic bursts of colour, as the main character struggles to search for the truth about herself.

Kitty is haunted by the secrets of her childhood and her own inability to bear another child, having lost her first.

Her job as a children's book critic serves only to make her situation more poignant. In this novel, children represent hope, and without them her future appears empty.

Kitty's actions are unexplained, yet she becomes a powerful protagonist for a plot that whizzes effortlessly through its suburban surroundings.

She is as unreliable a narrator as she is passive a character, finding herself, by turn, wandering aimlessly around town, sitting in maternity wards, waiting in school playgrounds for "Henry", the boy she lost.

Such tragic material is lifted by the sympathetic writing of a first-time novelist, confident of her material.

Morrall conveys an unconventional but loving marriage, a detached but ultimately emotional family, and a young woman struggling to come back to the surface.

The story is bleak, but the colours are bright.

Journal Entry 5 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

BOOK RING: This ring is currently open. Members are as follows (if you wish to join, please PM me and I will add you!):
  • safrolistics
  • CaterinaAnna (Coventry, UK)
  • birmingham-rose (Birmingham, UK)
  • with cnfotp (Oxford, UK) since 2 November 2006
  • moontree (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
  • flanners (Havant, Hampshire, UK)
  • clairemagnolia (Blackpool, Lancashire)
  • martinburo (Norwich, Norfolk)

How it works:
  • If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
  • We will kick off once we have 5 members.
  • You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address!
  • It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as speedily as you can, other people are dying to read it too.
  • Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
  • If you're the last person on the list (i.e. we run out of members) the book comes back to me until there are more interested parties...

Journal Entry 6 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Thanks again Alice

Why not chart this books travels?

http://www.bookcrossingmaps.com This site lets you enter a public BCID and see a map of the book's travels. If you have any questions, check the FAQ, or email me at bookcrossingmaps@gmail.com or PM VVilliam. Please give feedback/suggestions as this is a new site, and spread the word, I'd love to see it used. Happy mapping!

Journal Entry 7 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 27, 2006
A darn good read!
I'm not very good at reviewing, so thought I'd take a look at some of the amazon reviews, and although they are very varied, I didn't agree with a single one!!
This seems to be a book that different people will find different things in, lots of people told me they found this book depressing, not so for me. And also some people found the dysfunctional family to be the main theme, or the coping with the loss of a child..But ultimatly for me, it was a story of a womans decsent into madness, started long before she lost the baby, as shown in the unconventional living arragement with her husband, and the fact the mother is never mentioned.

I shall be passing this on to CatarinaAnna when I next see her.

Journal Entry 9 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006
Picked up from safrolistics a while back, but not yet started. Having not managed to start, let alone finish, this in time to pass on at today's Birmingham meet, will aim to finish by next month ...

Journal Entry 10 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, October 01, 2006
At first I thought this was going to be just OK. As one of those people who has managed to reach forty plus without any desire for children I didn't identify with Kitty as her predicament began to unfold. However, I think the best way to describe this book is to say that it accelerates. The dream-like trances at the start become more focused and active and events take on a startling pace of their own, leaving you - or at least me - exhausted & wrung out at the end. Really glad I read it.

On it's way to birmingham-rose asap.

Released 13 yrs ago (10/6/2006 UTC) at book ring in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Finally on its way through the post after several failed attempts to pass on by other means.

Journal Entry 12 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Received the book today from CaterinaAnna, after several attempts at passing the book on, we got there in the end.....Thank you Catherine!
I've got another one before this, but will get onto it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 13 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 21, 2006
I've just finished this book and I'm so glad that I read it. It was different to what I had expected, but very enjoyable.

The main character Katie, known as Kitty, saw everything in her life according to colour. She was a children's book critic, and the youngest child in a large family. Her spiral into depression following the loss of her baby 'Henry', and her longing for a child, led to her waiting at the school gates for her son, buying baby items from Mothercare and hiding them, and then wandering the maternity wards.....

The dysfunctional family unit and the secrets that were held by her family surrounding her mother and her sister Dinah, the rather unconventional marriage between Kitty and James were a huge part of another secret within the family. The story finalises leading to Kitty's 'selfless act' and strong motherly instincts.

Overall, a well written and well researched read.
It will be on its way to CNFOTP very soon!

Journal Entry 14 by cnfotp on Thursday, November 02, 2006
Arrived today - thank you :) I've been wanting to read this for some time so I can't wait to get started...

Journal Entry 15 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2007
Sent cnfotp a little nudge to get the book moving again...

Journal Entry 16 by cnfotp on Friday, May 04, 2007
Wahey! Just unpacked this book! I will pass it on in the next couple of days and sincerely apologise for the various hold-ups.