Purity in Death (In Death (Paperback))

by J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 042518630x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 5/30/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 30, 2006
From the Publisher
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb, comes a shocking new novel in the futuristic series... A frightening new computer virus is spreading and it knows no boundaries...

Louie Cogburn had spent three days holed up in his apartment, staring at his computer screen. His pounding headache was unbearable-like spikes drilling into his brain. And it was getting worse. Finally, when someone knocked at his door, Louie picked up a baseball bat, opened the door, and started swinging...

The first cop on the scene fired his stunner twice and Louie died instantly. Detective Eve Dallas has taken over the investigation, but there's nothing to explain the man's sudden rage or death. The only clue is a bizarre message left on his computer screen: Absolute Purity Achieved.

And when a second man dies under nearly identical circumstances, Dallas starts racking her brain for answers and for courage to face the impossible...that this might be a computer virus able to spread from machine to man...

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 08, 2011
Louie Cogburn, a small time criminal, has been suffering from an increasingly bad headache. His neighbour knocks on the door to tell him to turn down his music and Louie answers with a baseball bat swinging. The first policeman at the scene, Trueheart tries to stun Louie and ends up killing him. The message on Cogburn's computer reads "Absolute Purity Achieved".

Eve Dallas is assigned the investigation. Nothing explains the man's rage or why a stun caused his death. When a second murder under the same circimstances takes place, the police start to wonder if a computer virus can be transferred to humans.

Again, Roarke helps out in the technological area.

The sub-plot of Peabody and McNab is wonderful. McNab has been rendered paralytic and wants to end it with Peabody as he now considers himself useless baggage. Peabody is as loyal as they come and refuses to even consider it. This makes for a great side story.

This is another great one. I loved the idea of a computer as a murder weapon.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 30, 2012
Reading now!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 04, 2012
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is called by a young cop she's been mentoring, Trueheart, after he responds off-duty to a call for help and ends up killing a man. When Dallas arrives, she has two dead men, a severely injured woman and a shell shocked colleague. The computer of the attacker reads "Absolutely Purity Achieved". Dallas brings this back to the office for the electronics department to check out while trying to help Trueheart clear through internal investigations.

While looking at the computer, one of the electronics guys starts exhibiting the same symptoms as the attacker, stuns a few colleagues and takes his boss hostage. That's when Dallas realize she's dealing with an electronic virus that has the potential to kill.

Soon, an organization comes out taking responsibility for spreading the virus to people who have slipped through the judicial cracks that put children in danger. Dallas and her team must catch them before they kill anyone else.

This is one of the better books in the In Death series. The idea of a virus that can kill people over the computer is quite interesting. There are also a lot of debates about ethics and morality. Is it ok to kill someone who has done horrible things to others? Eve's stubbornness rather annoyed me in this book. I don't think I'd be able to hand working for her and her attitude of always being right. I'm not sure how her husband handles her sometimes. However it was still a great book.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 05, 2012
This book is back with me!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 26, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books. This book is one that we both read, as we had been reading J.D. Robb's 'In Death' series together, and she listed as available to pass along to someone else.

I will be releasing this in my mom's memory.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Square One Shopping Mall in Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/30/2013 UTC) at Square One Shopping Mall in Mississauga, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use my mom, AceofHearts, as a referring member.