Boy: Tales of Childhood (Puffin Story Books)

by Roald Dahl | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 5/26/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Friday, May 26, 2006
This book was received via a request on Paperbackswap.com.

If you grew up reading Roald Dahl's books (and doncha know, I think I devoured every single one in a glorious summer between 3rd grade, when I was introduced to him via Danny, the Champion of the World, and the 4th, where I finished with the weak Vicar of Nibbleswicke.) then this non-autobiography is a must-read! Hearing about the author's childhood really puts his books into perspective, because the inspiration for many incidents and characters that appear in his fiction draw from real-life events and personalities.

Amazon.com: Book Description
"An autobiography is a book a person writes about his own life and it is usually full of all sorts of boring details.
This is not an autobiography. I would never write a history of myself. On the other hand, throughout my young days at school and just afterwards a number of things happened to me that I have never forgotten." -- Roald Dahl

As full of excitement and the unexpected as his world-famous, bestselling books, Roald Dahl's tales of his own childhood are completely fascinating and fiendishly funny. Did you know that Roald Dahl nearly lost his nose in a car accident? Have you heard about his involvement in the Great Mouse Plot of 1924? If not, you don't yet know all there is to know about Roald Dahl. Sure to captivate and delight you, the boyhood antics of this master storyteller are not to be missed!

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Sunday, August 13, 2017
I run a children's book club at my bookstore, and they picked this title for their August book. So I'm re-reading it today and prepping discussion questions for tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see what real kids think of this book - I mean, I greatly enjoyed it when I read it ten years ago, but I was already an adult so it wouldn't hit me the same way as an actual child.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017
I only had three kids show up for book club today, all girls.

Two of the girls gave Boy 3.5 stars; the last one gave it 5 stars.

Overall, they thought it was funny and liked the drawings. They thought the beatings were bad but managed to keep it distant by reassuring themselves "This was a long time ago and schools would never do that now."

I asked them if they would have bought candy from mean Mrs. Pratchett, and two of them admitted that they would. The third said she didn't much like candy so she wouldn't but if Mrs. Pratchett sold kale she'd be in trouble. (Kale...?)

I'm trying to remember what other discussion questions I came up with. None of them were especially clever, but they kept the kids occupied for thirty minutes or so:
- Have you read other books by Roald Dahl? If so, which ones?
- Do any of his stories remind you of scenes from his books?
- What did you think of Nanny and her stories? Do you know someone like that?
- Roald Dahl talks about medical procedures a lot in great detail. Why do you think he did that?
- Would you buy sweets from someone like Mrs. Pratchett? Why or why not?
- What was your favorite event in the book?
- If you could ask Roald Dahl a question about his childhood, what would you want to know? (When one little girl, who hadn't read the book, wouldn't answer I broadened the question to include any question about any of his books, but she still wouldn't participate.)

It was fun. Reading Dahl's autobiography makes me want to dive back in and re-read some of his novels.