Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard

by Kiran Desai | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingO-Jennywing of Temple, Texas USA on 5/23/2006
Journal Entry 1 by wingO-Jennywing from Temple, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Finally! A happy Indian novel! I thought it might never happen, but I thoroughly enjoyed this little book about a young Indian man who gets tired of all the noise and bustle around him and runs off to live in a guava tree. He sort of inadvertantly becomes a holy man, and there are monkeys involved, and things get a little out of hand. It's funny, it's clever, and it has the same gentle flavor and lilting language as Alexander McCall Smith's Precious Ramotswe books. What a fun read.

Journal Entry 2 by alsomama from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, May 30, 2006
JennyO has been responsible for many of my favorite reads over the last few years. So I'm thrilled that her newest book offerings have arrived just as I'm about to leave on a 10-day trip back east. Now I'll have some good reading materials for the plane. And that's a long plane ride. Thanks, J!