The Apprentice

by Tess Gerritsen | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Lynden, Washington USA on 5/22/2006
Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Monday, May 22, 2006
From Publishers Weekly
For the first time since she moved from mass market originals to hardcover (with 1996's Harvest), Gerritsen offers a sequel to last year's bestselling The Surgeon. It's a smart move, as in that novel this popular author introduced a terrific lead character, Jane Rizzoli, a female Boston homicide detective who rivals Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta for intensity and complexity. Her nemesis, serial killer Warren Hoyt, aka the Surgeon, whom Rizzoli sent to prison, returns here, too; that's not so terrific, as he's basically a Hannibal Lecter clone, though Gerritsen does pair him up this time with a second serial killer, known among cops as the Dominator. The discovery of the corpse of one of the Dominator's victims in a ritzy Boston suburb gets the action moving. Rizzoli notes connections between the Dominator's handiwork and that of Hoyt, and visits Hoyt behind bars. Eventually it's revealed that Hoyt and the Dominator have contacted one another by mail. Hoyt escapes and links up with the Dominator, and it's no surprise that Rizzoli is their number one target. The novel is suspenseful and stuffed with an encyclopedia's worth of tightly detailed forensic lore. Rizzoli gets a new love interest (Hoyt killed her last one, in The Surgeon), an FBI agent, which is handled with realism and subtlety, but her fuming at man's inhumanity to woman may grate on male readers. There are first-person italicized passages from Hoyt's point of view, a genre cliche, and at times the grisliness of the murders tends toward sensationalism. This strong thriller should sell very well, but it's not Gerritsen's best.

Mailing to Jessi626 as part of my 50 State PLUS Personal RABCK Challenge (GERMANY)- ENJOY!

Journal Entry 2 by Jessi626 from Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, July 07, 2006
The book arrived today. Thank you!

Reserved for MissTerry. She'll get it as a RABCK after I've read it.

Journal Entry 3 by Jessi626 at Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, August 16, 2011
OMG, it took me 5 years to finally read this book!!! Sorry...

I really liked this book. It is very exciting until shortly before the end! I just didn't like the ending. It was too quick and easy. That's why the book only gets 9 and not 10 stars.

Journal Entry 4 by Jessi626 at Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (9/26/2011 UTC) at Otterberg, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

On the way to MissTerry

Journal Entry 5 by MissTerry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 29, 2011
Arrived today. Many thanks.

Journal Entry 6 by MissTerry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 26, 2011
I haven't read a Tess Gerritsen novel in quite some time.... As a result I really enjoyed this book. Many thanks again for the RABCK Jessi626!