Jigs and Reels

by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by woosang of Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on 5/20/2006
Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, May 20, 2006
The quirky tales in Joanne Harris' first collection of short stories, Jigs and Reels, can best be summed up in two words: malevolent and mischievous. As with many of her full-length novels, Harris manages to cleverly combine ordinary--even humdrum--situations and characters with the extraordinary and the unexpected. Tales with a twist indeed.

Harris lets her formidable imagination run riot in Jigs and Reels. This is a rich and wondrous Pandora's box of the odd, the strange, the weird and the downright wicked. Many of her protagonists wreak satisfying revenge on the unsuspecting, in both comical and cringingly gory fashion.

Long enough to get your teeth into, but short enough to read in a flash of the eye, these 22 stories are startlingly different--from pensioners with a penchant for Manolos, to a magical cookbook that bites back; from school reunions with a difference to adventure games taken seriously. And what characters pop out of their slender pages, as large and as deeply rounded as in any novel. Ladies who breakfast at Tesco's, with dark secrets to mull over; limbless swimmers who fall dangerously in love, honeymooners who fall prey to the aphrodisiac qualities of fish, authors whose long-forgotten, half-finished novels come back to haunt them and lottery winners who bet on the ultimate, impossible odds.

In her introduction, Harris says she finds the process of short-story writing slow and difficult and accepts that success is never guaranteed. In truth, not every tale here works, but when it does, it is stunning--and in the spirit of one of her literary heroes, Ray Bradbury--lingers teasingly in the sub-conscious

Journal Entry 2 by woosang at Starbucks in Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (6/15/2006 UTC) at Starbucks in Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia

At the June Meeting in Canberra

Journal Entry 3 by woosang at Starbucks in Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, June 14, 2006

At the June Meeting in Canberra

Journal Entry 4 by Calissa from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, June 15, 2006
Picked up at the Canberra June Booking. I loved Chocolat so was intrigued to find out what Harris' short stories are like.

Journal Entry 5 by Calissa at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, October 09, 2019
A collection of short stories, some speculative, some not. I tend to struggle a bit with short stories; I'm not sure whether I don't read the form because I don't get much from it or whether I don't get much from it because I do read much of it. Either way, I enjoyed these a little less than most. Although the style was fine, some of the themes were a bit repetitive and I found that on the whole the collection had something of a mean spirit.

I feel especially bad for keeping this book on my TBR pile for so long. I will be sending it on its way soon.

Journal Entry 6 by Calissa at Little Free Library in Woden, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Released 1 wk ago (10/10/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library in Woden, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Left at the Little Free Library on Bradley Street, just near San Churros.