So Yesterday

by Scott Westerfeld | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by woosang of Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on 5/19/2006
Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Friday, May 19, 2006
We are all around you.
You don't think about us much, because we are invisible. Well, not exactly invisible. A lot of us have hair dyed in four colours, or wear five-inch platform sneakers, or carry enough metal in our skin that it's a hassle getting on an airplane. Quite visible, actually, come to think of it.

But we don't wear signs saying what we are. After all, if you knew what we were up to, we couldn't work our magic. We have to observe carefully, and push and prompt you in ways you don't notice. Like good teachers, we let you think you've discovered the truth on your own.

And you need us. Someone has to guide you, to mould you, to make sure that today turns into yesterday on schedule. Because frankly, without us to monitor the situation, who knows what would get crammed down your throats?

It's not like you can just stat making your own decisions, after all.

Journal Entry 2 by woosang from Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 25, 2006
A story about cool and cool hunters. When Hunter's boss goes missing, he and his new girlfriend go looking for her.
Not a bad story, but there was a lot of non product placement, which was a little distracting (Thinking of the product) Good book for teens.

Journal Entry 3 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Monday, October 23, 2006
I got hooked on Scott Westerfeld when I started reading his Uglies trilogy.
I was so happy to see this book up on BookMooch...
I'm hoping that this it'll be another good one!

Journal Entry 4 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Wednesday, October 25, 2006
I'm going to let my officemate borrow this book while it's in TBR limbo.
I'm the one who got her addicted to Westerfeld... :D

Journal Entry 5 by jtanny from Buffalo, New York USA on Monday, November 06, 2006
I love Scott Westerfeld so I was thrilled when my bookcrosser co-worker, morsecode lent "So Yesterday" to me.

I think the book has a great plot concept and a great main character. Although not as riviting as his "Uglies," "Pretties," "Specials" series or (my favorite) "Peeps" -- this book still has the unmistakable mark of Scott Westerfeld. And for that alone it is a great read.

Journal Entry 6 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Book is back with me.

Journal Entry 7 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007
OK, I read this book last night and I was a little bit disappointed in it, though I think that may just be because my expectations were too high.
I liked Jen as a character and I found that Hunter was sympathetic (especially in his insecurities) - but I think that So Yesterday lacks the certain something that made the Uglies trilogy really compelling for me. Like woosang, I found the non-product-placement product placement a bit distracting.

In any case, I'm marking this book AVL for now, but it'll probably make its way into the Teen VBB (virtual book box) at some point.

Update, 9 August: This book is going into the Teen VBB.

Journal Entry 8 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Saturday, September 15, 2007
I'm mailing this book off to KathyB, who selected it from the Teen VBB, today.

Journal Entry 9 by KathyB25 from Arlington, Texas USA on Saturday, September 22, 2007
Received in today's mail from Morsecode... I'm so excited. I love this author!

Journal Entry 10 by KathyB25 at Arlington, Texas USA on Friday, June 11, 2010
On it's way to MsJoanna who requested it from BookObsessed

Journal Entry 11 by msjoanna at Brooklyn, New York USA on Monday, June 21, 2010
This has arrived. Thanks for sharing -- I enjoyed the Uglies series, so wanted to read more by this author.

Journal Entry 12 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Thursday, December 27, 2018
Perfectly entertaining, slightly dated young adult novel about a kid/young man who makes money by identifying fashion trends and participating in focus groups. A somewhat convoluted plot weighs down the effort to talk about culture and coolness, leaving the book swinging a bit between efforts to be fast paced almost spy-novel-light and trying to say something deeper about culture. Overall, not as fun or as successful as Westerfeld's more well-known Uglies series. If you haven't read that, start there instead.

Journal Entry 13 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 24, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (8/21/2019 UTC) at Columbia, Missouri USA