Modern Short Stories

by Various, Jim Hunter | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Astragale of Paris, Ile-de-France France on 5/19/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Astragale from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Friday, May 19, 2006

Journal Entry 2 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, May 22, 2006
The cover is a bit different...
I don't know when I will find the time to read this (considering the height of my mount TBR), but I was so happy to find an English book in this big French park, that I couldn't resist and had to take it home!

Journal Entry 3 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, June 19, 2006
Normally I don't like short stories too much, because the moment when you've got familiar with the characters, the story is already over, but I gave it a try and took it with me on my short trip to London with my pupils, because so I could read just a little each night after long, "knackering" days. I tried to finish it, but the two hours on the beach of Folkestone were not enough, and as I wanted it to stay in England, I had to release it without knowing the ending of the last story ("The Wharf" by Walter de la Mare. - Maybe one day I'll be able to read it?). Finally, short stories aren't that bad!

The introduction and the notes on each author were very helpful for the less known authors as were the questions after the stories which kept your mind thinking.

The stories I liked most:
"Ha'penny" by Alan Paton(? - can't read my own handwriting here!), "The secret life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber, "Tickets, please" by D.H. Lawrence (rather sad) and "The Ice Palace" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Journal Entry 4 by DEESSE at Sandgate, Granville parade in Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, June 19, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (6/16/2006 UTC) at Sandgate, Granville parade in Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom

on a bench facing the beach, near the yellow public conveniences