Something Blue

by Emily Giffin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by michyj of Daglish, Western Australia Australia on 5/19/2006
Journal Entry 1 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Friday, May 19, 2006
From Publishers Weekly
Giffin's sophomore effort-which tells the story that her bestselling Something Borrowed did from a different character's point of view-stars such an unsympathetic narrator that it's a little like reading a Cinderella story featuring one of the wicked stepsisters. Perhaps beautiful Darcy Rhone isn't really wicked, but she is one of the most shallow, materialistic, self-centered and naïve 29-year-olds around. Ostensibly a high-powered PR person in Manhattan (though she never seems to work), Darcy spends most of her time shopping, partying and getting ready for her wedding to perfect guy Dex. But an alcohol-fueled Hamptons fling with one of Dex's pals, Marcus, starts to break Darcy's perfect life down; and discovering Dex hiding in her best friend Rachel's closet really shatters it. Pregnant with Marcus's baby, Darcy decamps for London, where she crashes in high school pal Ethan's flat and annoys the heck out of him with her endless shopping and complete disregard for her impending motherhood. But after a good lecture from Ethan, whom Darcy has started to fall for a little, Darcy embarks on a self-improvement plan, thereby demonstrating she can think about someone besides herself. And if readers don't mind the first 200 pages in which she doesn't, they'll enjoy her happy ending and the few surprises along the way. Fans of Something Borrowed, too, may relish the "she said, she said" fun.

Journal Entry 2 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
I needed a fun light read and this was just perfect for that. I continually rolled my eyes at Darcy and her comments, but slowly started liking her and wanted to keep reading to see how life was going to turn out. This was my first Emily Giffin book and I am looking forward to reading her other books.

Journal Entry 3 by michyj at mail release in To a bookcrosser, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 13, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (5/13/2007 UTC) at mail release in To a bookcrosser, A Trade -- Controlled Releases

Thanks for trading with me leeny37!

Journal Entry 4 by leeny37 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 16, 2007
It's here, it's here!! And I'm sooooooo excited because I just finished Something Borrowed last night (I just couldn't put it down!) and I'm DYING to read the follow-up! Thank YOU, michyj, for initiating a trade, it's worked out really well! :) I will be mailing out Something Borrowed to you tomorrow, hopefully you will receive it early next week. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 5 by leeny37 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 19, 2007
Okay, I was really naughty. I really should have been reading one of the bookring books that I have in my possession or got started on one of my library books, which are due to be returned soon. But how could I resist this? It was the perfect follow-up to Something Borrowed and I just had to know what happened next. I thought this was a great sequel to the first book, and kudos to Emily Giffin for writing something that flowed seamlessly from the first. Darcy was really unlikeable in the the first book and it was lovely to read about her transformation here. Sometimes I was a bit sceptical as her change came about almost suddenly, but who am I to question that impending motherhood can do some wondrous things to a person? I'm a sucker for happy endings and I'm glad that everyone got one, even Darcy. I think I still prefer Something Borrowed just a little bit more, but together, these two books make a perfect pair.

Thanks, michyj, for suggesting this trade on BCAUS, it's worked out great! And apologies, I haven't mailed out Something Borrowed yet, I had a killer night at the gym on Thursday and was too wrecked to do much else when I got home! LOL. It's all packed and ready to go now though, so it will be heading off to you on Monday. Once again, thank you! :)

Released 13 yrs ago (6/11/2007 UTC) at Post office: Mailed to moocher in To a Moocher, BookMooch -- Controlled Releases

Released via BookMooch.com. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 7 by melissasyd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, September 15, 2007
I read 'Something Borrowed' by the same author - a lead-in to 'Something Blue'. This book is based on a character I didn't like so have decided not to read this. Currently waiting on a new home via bookmooch.

Journal Entry 8 by leeny37 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Sunday, September 23, 2007
Mooched back! Hee hee... A little silly I know, but a friend of mine wanted to read these Emily Giffin books, so I mooched this back together with Something Borrowed. Thanks Melissa! :)

Released 12 yrs ago (10/16/2007 UTC) at Royal Melbourne Hotel @ Bourke Street in Melbourne CBD, Meet-up -- Controlled Releases

Bringing this tonight to meet-up to share with other chick-lit lovers!

Journal Entry 10 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Thursday, October 18, 2007
Picked this up from meetup on Tuesday night, it was one of series so I had to take both!