Graphic Classics Volume 9: Robert Louis Stevenson (Graphic Classics Graphic Nov)

Registered by Bluestar741 on 5/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Bluestar741 on Tuesday, May 16, 2006
From School Library Journal
Grade 7 Up–This series volume does not stand out, but it still makes a fine counterpoint to conventional graphic-novel themes. It includes some of Stevenson's longer stories as well as a section showcasing some of his short poems and fables. Clever rhymes juxtapose easily with the humorous, black-and-white artwork, and the combination invites repeated readings; "The Angler" is a fine example. The story of Jekyll and Hyde is divided into two sections illustrated by two different artists. The events leading up to Jekyll's confession comprise part one, and the confession itself forms the body of part two. Though each section stands on its own, the striking differences in the artistic styles make the transition from one to the other difficult. A brief biography by Mort Castle and a short story by Stevenson's wife, Fanny Van de Grift Stevenson, are included, as is "The Crumb Brothers on Treasure Island" by Maxon Crumb, a recollection of the impact the famous novel had on him and his siblings when they were children. These extra entries offer interesting perspectives on Stevenson's life and influence. There is no adaptation of Treasure Island, but scattered bits of verse allude to its existence.–J. M. Poole, East Rochester Public Library, NY

Putting in cosmicflurk's Comic Bookbox

Released 12 yrs ago (5/19/2006 UTC) at postal release (Oakwood) in -- Mail or by hand,rings, RABCK, meetings, web, Georgia USA

Mailing in cosmicflurk's Comic Bookbox to CA. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by cosmicflurk from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
This looks very good. I will of course Read and Release it.

Journal Entry 4 by cosmicflurk from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, June 11, 2006
I was not disappointed by this book. The art was very good, and of course Stevenson's writing was excellent.

Journal Entry 5 by cosmicflurk at the Comics Bookbox in by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (7/19/2006 UTC) at the Comics Bookbox in by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Adding to Issue #2 of the Comics Bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 07, 2006
When I first picked up the book, I thought, wow that's a lot of text, and put it back. But then I read how you guys enjoyed it and figure I will give it a try. This is a good oppurtunity to re-familiarize myself with RLS's work as all that I have read was back in school.

Journal Entry 7 by RER-104752 on Saturday, September 22, 2007
Thanks to Azuki from lending me this book. It is an interesting collection of short graphic novels by different artists, based on the work of Robert Louis Stevenson. Of his work, I knew little other than The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This comic book got me interested in the rest of his stories as well. I hope to read the Suicide Club when I have a chance.

While not something I would buy or have permanently on my shelf, this was an interesting little book. I throughly enjoyed reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, November 02, 2011
Got this returned to me a while back, and finally got to read it at the 24 hr read-a-thon.

This is a nice introduction to the various work by RLS: longer stories, poems, short fictions, and includes also a brief biography and works by other writers talking about RLS's influence on them. The art styles are varied, and overall it's quite interesting. A good refresher of what I've studied, and an introduction to other works I haven't read.

This now goes into the graphic novel and manga box.

Journal Entry 9 by Earth-VS-Soup at Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Tuesday, July 03, 2012
Taken out of k00kaburra's second Manga/Graphic Novel bookbox.