The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency S.)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 034911675x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Rivercassini of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/16/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2006
From the back of the book:

Wayward daughters. Missing husbands. Philandering partners. Curious conmen. If you've got a problem, and no one else can help you, then pay a visit to Precious Ramotswe, Botswana's only - and finest - female private detective.

Her methods may not be conventional and her manners not exactly Miss Marple, but she's got warmth, wit and canny intuition on her side, not to mention Mr J L B Matekoni, the charming proprietor of Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors. And Precious is going to need them all as she sets out on the trail of a missing child, a case that tumbles our heroine into a hotbed of strange situations and more than a little danger...

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2006
I'm opening this book up as a book ray(ie I don't want it back at the end of its travels). If you would like to join, please send me a PM with your name and country of where you live. Please also say if are not prepared to post internationally - otherwise I will assume that you can.(I'll try to order the list so that postage costs are kept to a minimum).

This is a fairly light book. Even with adequate packaging, it should cost about 90p to send domestically in the UK and about £1.20 to send economy mail overseas.

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and remember that life gets in the way sometimes for all of us!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say six weeks or a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in a journal entry so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants (in order)

babsdotter (US)
spiritinflight (Canada)-- currently here --
CynthiaA (Canada)
eloisamos
BettyBoekwurm (Portugal)
mrspopoff (UK)
rosiewhippet (UK)

The last person on the list gets to decide what to do with the book next.

Released 14 yrs ago (5/18/2006 UTC) at Royal Mail in By Post, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Posted to babsdotter today. Should be there in 5 to 10 days.

Journal Entry 4 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Friday, May 26, 2006
Got this in the mail today. As I'm fairly new to bookcrossing, this is my first international book. How exciting to get it. I am anxious to read it. Thanks Rivercassini

Journal Entry 5 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Monday, May 29, 2006
I was expecting an African Miss Marple, and that's not exactly what Mma Ramotswe is. This is not really a mystery, but a human interest book. It gives a charming picture of a polite, if poor, African society. It's a quick read with Alexander McCall Smith's warmth and humor carrying it. I'll be sending it on to spiritinflight as soon as I get the address.

Bookring going on to spiritinflight

Journal Entry 7 by spiritinflight from Tweed, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 06, 2006
just recieved this today look forward to reading it