Daughter of China: A True Story of Love and Betrayal

by Meihong Xu, Larry Engelmann, Meihong Xu | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Sterile of Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on 5/15/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, May 15, 2006
There seems to have been an influx of this type of book around recently so heres another one just to add to the list!

The Times
'If Meihong Xu's story weren't true, a Hollywood scriptwriter would have invented it.

Reserved for Dododumpling postage required 15/5/06

Posted off to Dododumpling as arranged under the banner of books for postage.

Journal Entry 3 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 26, 2006
This book was waiting for me when I arrived home from my holidays. Thanks, Sterile, and I'll try to read it soon.

Journal Entry 4 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 28, 2006
It was interesting to read a book set in recent times, rather than the majority of Chinese biographies I've read which seem to concentrate on bound feet and concubines. I liked the shifting time perspectives, and Engelmann’s contribution in the final chapter, too. However, I did find Engelmann’s naïveté hard to believe (for example, his willingness to put Meihong at risk by photographing her in her Army uniform; his lack of awareness about security issues), and this made me wonder whether he really was a spy, just playing it daft ...

There's a much better review than mine here.

I've lent this to my mum, poppysnoz.

Journal Entry 5 by poppysnozcat on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Just started to read this book which has been passed to me by dododumpling. Having visited China twice as a tourist, I can now better understand the Chinese attitude towards foreigners.
Looking forward to reading the whole book with a further report later.

Journal Entry 6 by poppysnozcat on Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Looking forward to reading the whole book with a further report later.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, October 29, 2006
Caught this book from dododumpling and will return it to her.
I enjoyed the sections on Meihong's memoirs, however not so sure this book should have been described as a story of forbidden love. I believe she had a fondness for Larry but felt she may have manipulated him to get herself out of China. Larry however appears to have been smitten, but I feel he was used.
Not a book I would read again

CAUGHT IN ST NEOTS CAMBRIDGESHIRE ENGLAND

Journal Entry 8 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006
The book is now back in my possession, and I've decided to make it a ...

Bookray!

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and life gets in the way sometimes!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in the JE so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants
1. marie-therese, Glasgow, Scotland.
2. azuki, Forida, USA. International postage is fine.
3. minerva101, Alberta, Canada. North American postage only.

The person at the end of the ray decides what to do with it, but it would be nice to see this book continue its journey. :)

Journal Entry 9 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Meihong and Larry are on their way north of the border!

Journal Entry 10 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 04, 2007
Thanks dododumpling :o) book arrived safe and well today. Will journal as soon as I've read it and send it on its way to a much warmer climate in Florida. Thanks for sharing :o)

Journal Entry 11 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 20, 2007
I just finished this and towards the end just couldn't put it down. A really compelling story but I have to say I wasn't at all convinced by Meihong's and Larry's love affair, in fact at the end I couldn't help but feel that Larry had been used and manipulated somewhat, I'm probably totally wrong but I just wasn't convinced of Meihong's feelings towards him. I already have azuki's address, although I do know she is bogged down with bookrings at the moment so I may just send it surface mail. Thanks to dododumpling for sharing this, I really enjoyed it :o)

Journal Entry 12 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 26, 2007
Sorry forgot to journal that I posted this off on Tuesday 23rd, surface mail.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, February 01, 2007
Wow, surface mail took merely a week to cross the Atlantic!
Thanks, I am really glad for the chance to read this book. I have two rings ahead of this but look forward to a good read.

Journal Entry 14 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Weaving through the story of her arrest, Meihong Xu retells the lives of her grandparents, parents and herself growing up in a turbulent China. Her childhood under fanatic communism is especially warped, and her arrest a chilly reality of what the Chinese govt is like. I do not doubt what happens could happen, as I have heard other accounts of similar incidents. However, like other readers, I feel her love for Larry doesn't appear sincere. At least, she didn't describe any love when they were in school together.

Will mail to Minerva101 tomorrow, or whenever I get to the post office. It is somewhat heavy so it will likely go surface.

Journal Entry 15 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Arrived in the mail today :)
I should be able to get to this book over Easter break.
It's convenient that I just finished reading a different book ray last night ;-)

Journal Entry 16 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Well - this book has been with me for way too long. Shortly after I received it I ended up separating from my husband of 13 years and moving into the big city with my 3 children. Life took over and is now somewhat resembling stable once more.
Now, it is ready to travel again at last! I did enjoy this book, though not as much as Wild Swans by Jung Chang. I found it lacking in emotions. I found Meihong Xu to be almost robotic in her descriptions of events. Perhaps that was the only way she could deal with everything she went through.
Anyways, thank you to all who participated in this ray before me! I am going to offer it up on the forums as a continuing ray so that this book may carry on.
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 17 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 20, 2010
This book will be continuing it's travels as a ray. Please see the "Brief Rules" as posted by dododumpling earlier in the journal entries for ray guidelines.
Shipping order is as follows:
Luned (Canada - will ship int'l)
4thEstate (U.S - will ship int'l)
tohweiee (China - will ship int'l, prefers Asia)
Helena100 (Greece - prefers Ship EU)
BoekenTrol (Netherlands - prefers ship EU)

Thank you all for joining this ray to allow this book to continue it's travels!
At the end if Totje2 decides to send it out again, please put Booklady331 at the top of your list. Thanks again and I hope you all enjoy the book!

ETA: Shipped this book to Luned via Expresspost on Friday April 23, 2010.

Journal Entry 18 by Luned from Elmira, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Caught it today from Minerva. Looking forward to starting it tonight.

Journal Entry 19 by Luned at Elmira, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 17, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to be able to hear this story from Meihong's point of view. We may find it impossible to empathize with her but I respect her candid portrayal of her experiences and emotions.

Journal Entry 20 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Saturday, July 31, 2010
This was waiting for me at the post office this morning, when I went in to release another BX book. I'll get to it as soon as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by 4thEstate at Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, August 22, 2010
Finally finished the book while I was running around the city today. Good read, lots of chilling details - but it does seem that it kind of comes to an end rather abruptly.

I'll have it along to the next person as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 22 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Saturday, September 04, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/4/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Sent out in the mail a little while ago, now on its way to tohweiee in China. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Friday, September 17, 2010
Got it about an hour ago. Thanks for sending it on, 4thEstate! And thanks for the bookmarks. They're lovely.

Will get started on this book once I finish the one I'm currently reading.

Journal Entry 24 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Interesting read, even gripping at times. I'm currently living in China but I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't learnt much about its history, so this book in a way, provided good insights. There were also things that I could relate to. I can't help but feel, though, that the story between Meihong and Lin Cheng was more the love story, compared to the one between her and Larry.

Will send a PM for the address of the next in line.

Journal Entry 25 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Thursday, October 07, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/7/2010 UTC) at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China

Off to Greece. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 26 by helena100 at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, November 07, 2010
Arrived safely!

30 Nov 2011
this book left for BOEKENTROLL by post.

Unfortunately I could not finish it. I tried a couple of times, but somehow I could not get into it.

Journal Entry 27 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, December 04, 2011
Thsi book arrived safely in my mailbox yesterday.
Thanks for passing it on, Helena100, and thanks for making it a ray, Minerva101!

It will rest on my TBR-shelf for a while.

Journal Entry 28 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, June 04, 2012
Book is moving from TBR to RES-shelf, because it is reserved for greenbadger's Alphabet VBB.
I'll bump it up the TBR-pile a bit :-)

Journal Entry 29 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, August 22, 2012
I wrote in a status update for another review that Iwas not really sure what to think of this book. I'm glad I continued reading, otherwise I would have missed a good and interesting read.

I liked this book and the insight it gave me on how the Chinese society works (or worked, since the book has been written over a decade ago).  I liked the way the story was written, memories, thoughts set off another part of Meihong Xu's life story.

Despite I have no experience on China or with Chinese bureaucracy, the book felt strangely familiar, part of it could have happened in the Soviet Union too.

Released 6 yrs ago (8/23/2012 UTC) at Rataje nad Sazavou, Stredoceský kraj (Central Bohemian Region) Czech Republic

On its way to tenneh, who picked it from the Alphabet VBB. I hope it arrives safe and soon and I wish you happy reading!

Journal Entry 31 by tenneh at Verdon, Nebraska USA on Sunday, September 09, 2012
Received and looking forward to reading it! Thanks so much!