A Cry for Self-help

by Jacqueline Girdner | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by bookpatch of Lakewood, California USA on 5/14/2006
Journal Entry 1 by bookpatch from Lakewood, California USA on Sunday, May 14, 2006
Paraphrased from the back of the book: "Kate Jasper and her fiance Wayne Caruso are taking a class called 'Create Your Own Wedding Ritual'. When fellow student Sam Skyler takes a fatal plunge over a seaside cliff, Kate investigates the local New Age community where the victim was renowned (and occasionally ridiculed) for his offbeat methods..."

I am definitely of two minds about this book. Warning, some mild spoilers ahead

The good: it was pretty funny.

The bad: all the jokes were about cliched Californian stereotypes. I know it's suposed to be tounge-in-cheek, but really, we're not all hippie vegetarian lesbians who name our children "Sunshine" or "Karma" and are into tantric yoga self-actualization. Honest. (Okay, I do have a tai-chi tape, but I'm really lame at it, so that doesn't count). Also, maybe we're all a little over-sensitive about the immigration issues right now, but I really could have done without one character's little rant about it.

The good: The author voices on page 67 what all of us mystery-series readers have been secretly thinking: "I mean, look at the body count and always this same woman finding them." (snerk!)

The bad: Kate's constant insecurity about boyfriend Wayne really got on my nerves. Also, all the running back and forth here and there to interview suspects was....well, tiring. It did not make for a good flow of action.

The good: which almost makes up for the rest of it--the Institute's four fingered mantra and the hilarious little surprise on the last page. Brilliant!

I'm eager to hear what others think about this one!

Releasing into SCOUT-FINCH's cozy mystery bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by vraciousrdr from Vista, California USA on Monday, June 26, 2006
like this series, looking forward to reading this one :)

Journal Entry 4 by vraciousrdr from Vista, California USA on Friday, September 15, 2006
Ok I keep forgetting which books I've read and which ones I haven't until I start reading it. Here's another I read sometime back. :)

Journal Entry 5 by vraciousrdr at postal release in San Diego, CA -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 23, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (11/24/2006 UTC) at postal release in San Diego, CA -- Controlled Releases

releasing as a rabck to bikewmn

Journal Entry 6 by bikewmn from La Mesa, California USA on Sunday, December 10, 2006
Can't wait to take some quality time to read over winter break. Thanks for the supplies vraciousrdr!