Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World

by Mark Kurlansky | Nonfiction |
Registered by AnglersRest of Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on 5/10/2006
Journal Entry 1 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Amazon.co.uk Review
To make the history of a fish interesting, invigorating and moving is an almost impossible feat that Mark Kurlansky accomplishes fantastically well in this compact, learned, beautifully written gem of a book. Cod traces humankind's involvement with what was once one of the world's most plentiful foodstuffs. The Basque people, who Kurlansky suggests found America before Columbus, could only fish and forage (for whale meat) as far as they did because of the huge schools of cod they found, caught and salted as they went. Centuries before this Vikings had travelled from Norway across to Canada--the exact range of the Atlantic cod. Interspersed with old and forgotten recipes Cod becomes a fitting requiem to a fish no-one believed would ever become scarce nor become such a telling metaphor for our careless treatment of the sea, its bounty and our wider environment. --Mark Thwaite

Sir Roy Strong, Express On Sunday
This is an extraordinary little book, unputdownable, written in the most lyrical, flowing style which paints vivid pictures and, at the same time, punches into place hard facts that stop you dead in your tracks. Who would ever think that a book on cod would make a compulsive read? And yet this is precisely what Kurlansky has done.

Journal Entry 2 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2006
Off into a Goody bag for a fellow Book Crosser - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by kittiwake on Sunday, July 2, 2006
AngelersRest supplied this book for my goody bag at this weekend's UK Unconvention.

Thank you!

And you even managed to find me a book from my wish list that matched your user name : )

Journal Entry 4 by kittiwake on Monday, March 23, 2009
There is almost no waste to a cod. The head is more flavorful than the body, especially the throat, called a tongue, and the small discs of flesh on either side, called cheeks. The air bladder, or sound, a long tube against the backbone that can fill or release gas to adjust swimming depth, is rendered to make isinglass, which is used industrially as a clarifying agent and in some glues. But sounds are also fried by codfishing peoples, or cooed in chowders or stews. The roe is eaten, fresh or smoked. Newfoundland fishermen also prize the female gonads, a two-pronged organ they call the britches, because its shape resembles a pair of pants. Britches are fried like sounds. Icelanders used to eat the milt, the sperm, in whey. The Japanese still eat cod milt. Stomachs, tripe and liver are all eaten, and the liver oil is highly valued for its vitamins.

How did cod change the world? I'm afraid that information is on a need-to-know basis only, and if you need to know, you will have to read this book! This book tells the story of the rise and fall of the cod fisheries of the North Atlantic, and includes a selection of cod recipes from the past 500 years.

A note for Mark Kurlansky: Fish and chips is not hyphenated, and it's a chip shop (chippie for short), not a fish-and-chip shop. I'll have cod and chips twice please, wrapped.

Nottingham Round the World Reading Challenge
NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN

Journal Entry 5 by kittiwake on Thursday, April 16, 2009
Reserved.

1) Yowlyy
2) Doodleali

Journal Entry 6 by doodleali from Arnold, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 17, 2009
Yowlyy wasn't at the meet, so Kittiwake passed this on to me, thanks.