Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

by Richard Bach | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by constantweader of Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 5/9/2006
Journal Entry 1 by constantweader from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2006
For some reason, this really didn't grip me, though I thought it would. Interesting enough in its way.

Journal Entry 2 by constantweader from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, June 29, 2006
Travelling to Birmingham

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 02, 2006
In a strange coincidence, I found Jonathan Livingston Seagull at last years UnCon...and look what turned upo this year, a sequel, sort-of? I almost missed it in the HUGE book table. Thanks constantweader :)

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, September 09, 2006
This is not quite a sequel to the mega-popular Jonathan Livingstone Seagull (more a re-working of similar ideas). In this small book Bach appears as himself, an itinerant barnstomer travelling the midwest offering $3 rides in his biplane. This is how he meets a fellow flyer, the retired messiah Donald Shimoda...and learns about the nature of the universe, the human condition, the 'Is' and dreams, reality and illusion. Don is a higher being incarnated? (or existing?? (or manifesting???)) to guide Richard in understanding the world - all illusion - and our capabilities as magicians and masters over our environment. This is almost exactly the same as JLS - rememember the seagull learning to fly up to and beyond his limits, well here we have the 'fly boy' learning to levitate a spanner, walk on water and other equally unlikely things.

It's all complete bunkum of course(!) but quite an enjoyable book for all that. I particulary liked Bach's style, the extended allegory notwithstanding, the simple language and dreamlike mood sweeping in wide slow arcs, not unlike the flights over the patchwork midwest flat-lands.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 10, 2006
Picked up at the Ipswich BC meet at Cafe Nero. Thanks for the welcome kind people. How did I manage to take 6 books away with me? I read and enjoyed Jonathan Livingstone Seagull in my teens and picked it up again recently at a charity shop as I'm not sure whether I 'got' it first time round. Will then read this one.

Following the meet and a jolly good Chinese buffet saw Ipswich Town beat Southampton 2-1. Good day out.