Snow Crash

by Neal Stephenson | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by midwinter of Tucson, Arizona USA on 5/8/2006
Journal Entry 1 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, May 08, 2006
Neal Stephenson is the heir to William Gibson's cyberpunk throne. This book is a witty, goofy romp through a dark modern reality - a pizza delivery boy by day, hacker god by night, Hiro Protagonist steals the show in this book.

Full bookring shipping order:
minx2012, England
tiggsybabes, England
tiggmtl, Quebec, Canada
rebeccaljames, Ohio, USA

Restarting this much-stalled ring with caligula03!

Journal Entry 2 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, May 15, 2006
Book is here. Thanks.

Journal Entry 3 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, May 18, 2006
I am currently reading this book. It reminds me of cyberpunk from the point of view of Philip J. Fry (Futurama). I just want to make a note that roadrunner has a copy of the book and wants to be skipped.

Journal Entry 4 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, May 18, 2006
Bunrab also wants to be skipped.

Journal Entry 5 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Snow Crash is one of the more entertaining cyberpunk books I've read. I like the near future vision of California (especially Los Angeles) as being divided up by a series of corporate and religious run city-states. The question at hand is what is "snow crash" beyond a typical all out computer crash and who is controlling the distribution of it? Up until the drawn-out pirate ship / lifeboat misadventure I would have given it a full rating but the last hundred pages or so seemed to take too long and divert the focus too far from the main plot.

Journal Entry 6 by caligula03 at on Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (6/16/2006 UTC) at

Mailing to WarEagle78.

Journal Entry 7 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Monday, August 07, 2006
My deepest apologies for neglecting to journal when the book arrived in late June.

I started this one then put it down - I'm not a big sci-fi fan. But when the opening scene stayed in my head for a couple of weeks I gave it another chance, and zoomed through. The book is imaginative without being overdone, tightly built around plausible themes (plausible for sci fi, anyway) and with great characters in Hiro and Y.T. Thanks, midwinter, for sharing and thus encouraging me to open up to another genre.

I've pm'd the next person twice and will go to the bookring forum section to search before moving on down the list.

Journal Entry 8 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Monday, August 21, 2006
Never could get a response from appaloosatb, so this one is off to mochagirl in the morning.

Journal Entry 9 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 29, 2006
This arrived at my sister's place a little while ago - I arrived yesterday and picked it up :) Thanks WarEagle78 for posting it on to me, and thanks midwinter for organising the ring :)

I've sent a PM to starbytes for her postal address and to check if she wants to be on the ring - if she does, I'll probably keep this as plane reading. If she doesn't want it any more, I'll try to post it to England before I leave here next week.

Journal Entry 10 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 10, 2006
It took me a while to get into this book - but in the end I really enjoyed it.
I'll post it on to starbytes, hopefully today.

Journal Entry 11 by Mochagirl at ~~ in Sydney, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (10/10/2006 UTC) at ~~ in Sydney, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Will be posted to starbytes - hopefully today!

Journal Entry 12 by starbytes from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, December 13, 2006
I received this book last week, and devoured this book in less than a week! LOL! Sorry, I didn't journal when I received it, but it was a busy weekend and I just thought I'd journal it when I was done, since I was progressing quite quickly through it.

I haven't read much cyberpunk and I'm not a very technology literate person, but I loved the movie Hackers, and I loved this book! I liked how the story was interwoven with both futuristic elements(computers and such) and historic elements(Enki, Babel, etc.), the analogies were very helpful in giving me a clearer understanding of the story since, as I said, I'm not a very technology literate person. I liked the Rat Things, and in fact, I even started liking Raven in the end. I think he could actually be a really nice guy if he wasn't so crazy. LOL!

Thanks for sharing, midwinter! And thanks, Mochagirl, for getting the book to me! I really enjoyed it! Will PM minx2012 for her address now. =)

Journal Entry 13 by starbytes from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, December 21, 2006
Minx2012 has asked to be skipped, so I will PM tiggsybabes for her address. =) Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everyone! =)