The Pact

Registered by rem_BSM-942247 on 5/8/2006
Journal Entry 1 by rem_BSM-942247 on Monday, May 08, 2006
Synopsis
A riveting, timely, and terrifying novel from an acclaimed writer who skillfully intertwines the intimate perceptions of Anne Tyler with the dramatic tension of John Grisham. For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty. Parents and children alike are best friends - so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born. When the midnight calls come in from the hospital, no one is prepared for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head as part of an apparent suicide pact. The gun holds a single unspent bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself, but a local detective has doubts. And the Hartes and Golds, in a single terrifying moment, must face every parent's worst fear: do we ever really know our children at all?

Journal Entry 2 by rem_BSM-942247 on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Releasing at the BCIE meeting tonight.

Journal Entry 3 by rem_BSM-942247 at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (5/24/2006 UTC) at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Journal Entry 4 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
caught at the BCIE May Meetup

Journal Entry 5 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, June 05, 2006
Interesting read.
Two teens are rushed to hospital, one of them dead from a gunshot wound. The questions about who did it and why just generate more and more issues. The story moves between past and present so you find out more and more about where the characters come from. The problems with being a young man and in jail waiting to find out whats going to happen to him next.

Journal Entry 6 by wyvernfriend at The Westmoreland Pub in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, June 22, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (6/22/2006 UTC) at The Westmoreland Pub in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

left at the June BCIE meetup

Journal Entry 7 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, June 22, 2006
Picked up at the book crossing meeting - haven't read any books by Picoult before but see them often on the shelf in the book shop. And people discuss them a fair bit - interested in seeing her writing style

Journal Entry 8 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, July 10, 2006
Handed on to my mother while we are in Phuket, Thailand.

A good read, the only issue I have with books by this author now is you always expect a twist to the tale

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, January 08, 2007
Youth suicide is always a difficult topic. Much more needs to be done about a lot of the support for this issue.
A difficult read

CAUGHT IN THAILAND

Journal Entry 10 by -tui- from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
I was the annonymous finder, and have now joined Bookcrossing

Journal Entry 11 by -tui- at 2009 Bookcrossing Convention in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/18/2009 UTC) at 2009 Bookcrossing Convention in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Taken to Convention

Journal Entry 12 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, April 20, 2009
I totally abused my powers as organiser to get my hands on this book :-) I saw Tui's release notes for it, so when she turned up at the registration desk, I immediately pounced on her and asked her for it before she could put it on the book table. I've just realised in fact, this is the only book I picked up from the convention itself - I was so busy running around I completely forgot to check out the book tables!

Anyway, many thanks Tui, and great to meet you.

v

Journal Entry 13 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, May 05, 2009
I have to agree with KiwiinEngland's comment about always expecting a twist with Jodi Picoult books. That's probably why the first book of hers I read was the one I enjoyed most. However, even though with this book I had a fair idea of what the twist would be pretty early on, that didn't really spoil my enjoyment of it at all - it was still a great page-turner (in fact, that's my real problem with Jodi Picoult's books - I can never put them down, so I end up reading them in one sitting!)

v

Journal Entry 14 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/12/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at tonight's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 15 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Picked this up at tonights Meetup.

Journal Entry 16 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, August 22, 2009
Started this book this afternoon.

Journal Entry 17 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, September 02, 2009
Finished the last 50 pages last night in bed.
Interesting ending to the book, so sad that Emily felt she couldn't talk to anyone about her problems, that she felt this was her only option.

Journal Entry 18 by rarsberry at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, September 25, 2010
Stupid computer somehow made this a Controlled Release when its actually a wild one.

Left near a lift in the mall, ground floor, Saturday 25th September 2010 about 1pm.