Nineteen Minutes: A novel

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by TwiggySC1973 of Woodruff, South Carolina USA on 7/15/2007
Journal Entry 1 by TwiggySC1973 from Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Sunday, July 15, 2007
Will be sent out in a book ring and will be returned to me when done.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Received this today but unfortunately it withstood a bit of damage on the journey. When I got it, most of the brown paper had disintegrated and Canada Post had wrapped it in a plastic baggy. The top part of the book is water damaged and a couple page corners are bent, but it's nothing too severe.
I'll start this tonight! Thanks for starting a ring!

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 04, 2007
Nineteen minutes is all it takes to permanently change the lives of hundreds of people. Peter, fed up with being picked on, walks into school and kills 10 of his classmates, injuring many others, all in the time span of nineteen minutes. Josie is left alive to cope with the death of her friends and her lack of relationship with her mother. Really, this book is hard to explain. There are many characters and many emotions.

As any other Picoult book, her writing grabs you right away. After finishing the book and comparing it to My Sister''s Keeper (my favourite Picoult book), I didn''t think it was as good. The lines were far too blurred between good and bad. Practically every character was a victim, yet they had done something horribly wrong at the same time. Who are you supposed to feel sympathetic to?

The sad thing is that even after everything that happened to this town, nothing had really changed. Kids were still bullying other kids, and teachers were still turning their backs. Were 10 deaths not enough to realize that bullying needs to be stopped? Would it be enough in the real world??

I will pass on to my mom when she gets back from her vacation!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 10, 2007
I got this book from HoserLauren when I returned from vacation

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2007
Picoult has a knack for writing stories about events and then adding a twist. Nineteen Minutes delivers again. Sterling, New Hampshire is everytown, United States. In nineteen minutes everyone''s lives changes. All it takes is nineteen minutes to kill 10 people and injury a lot of others. Peter is the teenager who has been bullied all of his life and finally ''cracks''.

This is a story where everyone is a victim, everyone a hero and everyone a protanganist. Picoult blurs the lines between good and evil. It makes whoever is a parent question their own parenting skills and wonder whether anyone ''knows'' their own offspring.

What really is the problem in school shootings? Is it bullying? Is it too much access to violence? Is it ready access to guns? Is it inadequate parenting? Has society done enough to stop the continuing tragedy? When will it ever be okay to be different?

Journal Entry 6 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 09, 2007
Got this from Ace today at the meet-up.

Where is the list for this ring? - ETA: Just found the list, its on Twiggy's bookshelf. I see morsecode was supposed to read this before me...I'll be sure to pass it on to her at the next meet-up!

Journal Entry 7 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Oh.....my.....god. I stayed up way to late last night to finish this. I love Picoult. I love how she shocks and surprises me and then I feel stupid for not seeing it coming, but I love her anyway!

GREAT story, back up to her 'My Sister's Keeper' standards after a little dip off...

Will pass to Morsecode next time I see her!

Journal Entry 8 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Sunday, October 14, 2007
Breeze144 passed this book on to me at a meetup today. It looks like kobie03 is next in line. I'll send it on to him/her when I'm through.

Journal Entry 9 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Saturday, October 27, 2007
I'm mailing this book off to the next person on the list today.

Picoult writes what I call issue fiction. At this point I've read quite a number of her books, but the first one I read (Plain Truth) remains my favorite though I'm not sure why (my first taste of her? the Amish angle? the twist? the quasi-happy ending, which I mention a little later in this paragrah, actually making sense in the story?). Some of her books (and this one in particular) are just so depressing reading them is almost unbearable at times. The disconnect is how she always manages to come up with a quasi-happy ending. I'm on the fence about having children and this makes me terrified. I'm going to mention some SPOILER-stuff here so just highlight if you want to read:
I can't reconcile the ending of this book. All this horrible stuff happens, the kids are in jail,... and the judge lives happily-ever-after? I mean she's pregnant. She knows that the midwife wasn't a bad mother and that this could conceivably happen to anyone so why isn't she concerned about bringing another child into this world? Why doesn't Picoult address this?

I wasn't in high school at the time of the Columbine shootings, but I was in my 2nd year of college and I remember being glued to the television set. This isn't an easy subject and I guess Picoult handled it well. The twist was a bit much, but I guess it is in keeping with her style. Yes, things are never black-and-white, but I think sometimes Picoult blurs things overly much to get her point across.

Journal Entry 10 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Book arrived today. Thanks.

Journal Entry 11 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Thursday, November 08, 2007
Wow I'm reading this book and there's a school shooting in Finland, making me pay close attention to the subject. Picoult covers it well the things that affect teens in so many different ways, the questions parents ask themselves, why does this happen, and maybe hope that we'll pay more attention to this tragic event. Very thought provoking. How well do we know each other? even our own children.
Waiting for address so I can mail it on.

Journal Entry 12 by kobie03 from Lewins Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Tuesday, November 20, 2007
In the mail to Marketing-Maus. Enjoy

Journal Entry 13 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, January 18, 2008
Thanks a lot to KOBIE03 for mailing the book to me :o) Must have been quite a travel, all over the world, and I am really looking frowrad to reading it nd was very happy when I found it in my box today.
Thanks a lot to all so far - I will read it quick and let it travel on.

Journal Entry 14 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
It was a great read - thank you so much for sharing the ring! :o) I truly enjoyed it - although it was a difficult topic, it was well written.
And with the twist that is so popular with Jodi Picoult ;o)
Were shall the book travel to now?

Well, it is going to be a long trip ... *tadada* The book is traveling to ISRAEL now! :o) Have a safe trip, I hope that it brings also good reading moments to YOU, ababaigalit!

Journal Entry 16 by ababaigalit from Modi'in, Israel Israel on Monday, March 31, 2008
Well the book arrived safe and sound to Israel. Thank you very much TwiggySC1973 for organising the book and thank you Marketing-Maus for sending it to me. I have to finish an other ring before I start this book but I will read it ASAP so I can keep the bookring on.

04/06/08:
---------
This book just about broke my heart. I could identify so well with Peter that it was scary. Jodi Picoult can take any character, no matter how flawed , and peel away layer after layer to show us the truth of that character. This book, about a school shooting, could have been so simplistic in describing the tragedy and how it affected the victims and their families. Instead, in her familiar style of interweaving the voices of different characters, and going back and forth in time, she shows us the REAL tragedy - the tragedy of how badly people often treat other people, and the sometimes inevitable consequences. Not that I'm condoning a bullied student going in and shooting up those who tormented him, but I do applaud Ms. Picoult for daring to show the perpetrator of the massacre in an often sympathetic light. She portrays a common, ongoing problem in our schools, and she does so in a way that commands our attention and leaves us wondering - who really IS the bad guy here? Definitely one of her best.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/10/2008 UTC) at Next member of a bookring in Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland

Enjoy the book

Journal Entry 18 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, June 20, 2008
The book arrived today:) look forward to read it, am reading another book now but will start on this one as soon as I can:)

Journal Entry 19 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Wednesday, July 02, 2008
Wow, I just finished the book, I´ve been thinking a lot about it these last few days while I´ve been reading it. I really like this book, I think it tells an important story. Bullying is everywhere and sadly it often ends with suicide.
This is the her fifth book that I´ve read, loved My sister´s keeper and The Pact. Now this one is also among the her best books;)

I´ve already sent a message to the next reader and am now waiting for the address.

Journal Entry 20 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Thursday, July 10, 2008
For over a week now I´ve been trying to contact the next reader, Jaycee1972, but don´t get any answer so I contacted the next person,iwanttobeinital, and the book will travel to her today.

Journal Entry 21 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Monday, July 21, 2008
Arrived safely today. I'm in the middle of another Picoult but will get onto this asap.

Journal Entry 22 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Jodi Picoult takes difficult subjects and turns them into compelling reading.
This story was told from so many angles and was heart-rending at times.
Loved it - as did my husband (apologies for hanging onto it so long!).
Thanks for sharing TwiggySC1973.
I am awaiting an address for kihli to send it on its way.

Journal Entry 23 by kihli from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Monday, September 29, 2008
just arrived! I'm so glad 'cause I just love Jodie Picoult.

Journal Entry 24 by kihli from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Monday, December 01, 2008
ok,I sure liked the book. The usual Picoult at its best. The story can be scary for parents though...the last couple of pages had me in tears.

thank you for sharing! I 'm waiting for an address so that I can send the book.

edited (March 2009)-I only found rosiewhippet's address,because the next two on the list never answered to my emails...gonna send the book sometime this week.

Journal Entry 25 by kihli at Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Friday, April 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/3/2009 UTC) at Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece